1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music stores in Toronto & GTA?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassace28, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Well I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for music stores in Toronto and in the GTA. :bassist:

2. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    sure -

Long and Mcquade is the biggest player - the one on Bloor St is pretty good. I actually think the Burlington outlet tends to be just as good....maybe better bass section.

Steve's is kinda cramped and like a guitar store in the 90s.....but a fair amount of stuff and some good sales guys.

Club Bass is a bass specific 'boutique' shop - lots of cool, pricey basses and amps. Can be hit and miss there in terms of being welcoming....but wave a few bucks at Dave at he will warm up... ;)

Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill is HUGE and cool to look at....they have Suhrs and some really nice EBMM stuff, Aguilar..... cool store.

3. Couldn't have said it better! Especially the part about waving a few bucks in front of Dave, to get him to warm up!!! LOL
    Steve's tends to cater to the low to mid range instrument market... they don't seem to carry any of the high end makers anymore, but if you want a sub $1000.00 bass, you'll have plenty to mess with at Steves.
    IMHO
    Fishheadjoe

4. ShrewTamer

ShrewTamer

Nov 27, 2011
    If you're looking for vintage gear, Paul's Boutique and Capsule Music both get some pretty sweet stuff in here and there. I can't really comment on the quality of service though as I've only ever really gone in to browse and dream, sigh.

5. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Definitely check out Capsule Music on Queen West in Parkdale. Always an eclectic mix of used and vintage basses, and often some great deals. I picked up an 83' Stingray there about 2 years ago with hardshell EB case for $1000!
    Talk to Greg (who plays in Sloan), or Kevin ( plays in Grapes of Wrath). Both are super knowledgable and friendly dudes to boot!

6. Yeah Cosmo is considered as my "regular" store, but they don't have much for basses.

7. Thanks, i'll check it out!! :bassist:

8. The 12th Fret on The Danforth is not too bad either. Small room just for Basses.

9. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    Paul's Boutique in kensington is great. Nice guys, good prices. Ring Music on Harbord has some nice bass stuff once in a while too.

10. Basstone1

Basstone1 Banned

Jun 28, 2010
    I'm in Windsor but have come up to TO twice in the last few months checking things out for a purchase. I've really enjoyed the selection at L and M downtown, Steve's and Cosmo, and everyone at Steve's and Cosmo were very cool also. I've avoided even stepping into Club Bass because of the reputation that everyone that I talked to filled me in on. I've talked to several pros also that avoid it like the plague.

Capsule is cool.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

All of the above!

L&M is good for the mainstream stuff (Fender, Gibson, Ampeg, GK), Cosmo has similar but with some cool stuff (Suhr, F-Bass, Aguilar), Steve's is like a cramped L&M, Club Bass is cool (Roscoe, TC, Ken Lawrence, Sadowsky, Orange, Lakland) and Dave is a good dudevonce you get him yapping, Paul's Boutique and Capsule is better for vintage gear, 12th fret is great, but has more vintage 6 string electrics, acoustics, etc.....

There it is.... GTA guitars in a single runon sentence!

12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    in addition everything everyone has said, there's also Tundra Music on Danforth (at Jones). It's got some really crazy old vintage stuff, and usually a pretty healthy lineup of Dillion guitars and basses, sometimes a couple of Warwicks also if memory serves. Very small store, though

13. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Long & McQuade in Oshawa or Scarborough are my regular stops based on location and also a decent selection. The Bass room in Oshawa is better than Scarborough.

Isn't LA Music in Mississuaga too? I've never been but was thinking about a trip. They had a good price on Deluxe J's online.

There was also another store near 12th Fret at the corner of Victoria Park and Kingston Rd. but I cannot remember the name of it.

14. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I found LA Music to be a super let-down in person....also the Guitar Shop or whatever its counterpart is a little down the road - might as well have been Brantford, ON....

Also found Gear or whatever it is called now in Oakville to be pretty meh....

Capsule can have some really cool stuff - I find it a bit behind the times price-wise (like a lot of pre-2008 level pricing remains is place) and I find the guys can be a little too hipster-condescending to folks they don't know...but best selection of used stuff - good deal on an SB1 there right now....

Last couple times I went to 12th fret it was pretty much guitar only, so I have stopped even checking their site...hopefully they have re-embraced bass.

never been to Paul's Boutique but have always heard its priced like the internet or cross-border shipping don't exist. :)

15. The shop at Vic Park and Kingston Road is called Scarborough Music... I haven't been in there for a year or two, but the last couple of times I dropped in, they had maybe 1/2 a dozen basses... most of which were kinda one offs....
    Fishheadjoe

16. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    G U L P :eyebrow:

COSMO IMHO has the BEST bass selection in the GTA and amps period.

Paul's, Capsule and 12th Fret are all COOL and yes they do have unbelievable bargains, but so too do L&M on used basses--arguably the BEST DEAL in town IMHO.

L&M are great cats, Steve's too but they don't stock real pro basses unless you order. The market is very timid now and they all seem to be going low to mid quality stuff and not too much either custom or high end basses or amps in stock. L&M for amps pretty much stick to the amps they also distribute Mark Bass, GK and my fave of them all, YORKVILLE-TRAYNOR :bawl::bawl:

I have travelled extensively and the only music store comparable to COSMO in Canada for basses was Mother's in Calgary NE. Cosmo is #1 in product BUT very hard to bargain with, unfriendly, nonchalant and mostly anti-professional ( take it or leave it or their way or the highway ) has been my experience anyway :scowl:

COSMO is also number 1 in the fact that they have a dedicated isolated glassed in bass room with tons of quality basses and amps and NOBODY bothers you from the staff--that is a big plus in their favour--plus Rail is a bona fide bass junkie and is behind a lot of the cool stuff they have stocked. MANY MANY kudos to them for that.

17. Basstone1

Basstone1 Banned

Jun 28, 2010

As far as Club Bass is concerned, its too bad that the manufacturers he has dont know of the reputation because a few of his brands are worth checking out. I wish they were at a different store. I dont want to have to put up with an aggressive overbearing guy hovering over me with no one else in the store who I have to wave money to to get a good attitude. Its not just what I read here on the thread, about everyone else I talked to says the same thing.

It kinda makes Toronto less desireable for checking stuff out. I'm going to have to go over the river to Detroit or even Chicago.

18. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I sometimes feel like Club Bass is a great idea - just needs a different sales guy - I can appreciate how Lookie Lou/Tire-Kickers would be doubly annoying in a boutique shop....but when folks are reluctant to set foot in a store, it can't be good. I would think if you get to the point that you are aware for such a store and the brands they carry....then you are likely serious if you take the time to go there an play a Roscoe....maybe not though...

19. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I find Cosmo to be hit and miss....they can often have 5 or 6 super high-end basses that just seem 'off' to me (like Ball Family Reserve or CS Fenders that just feel like 2nds in their respective class)

I also have found (in the 8 times I have been there) the opposite in terms of sales people hanging around. Each time either I or fellow shopper had a sales guy hanging around like a sucker fish on a great white....I appreciate the help but want some time to check out this $3700 worth of gear without making small talk or listening to the sales guy's slap chops....:rolleyes: :)

20. Basstone1

Basstone1 Banned

Jun 28, 2010

An idea like Club Bass surely needs another guy running it, thats what I meant about manufacturers being unaware of the situation. I mean there are lots of bricks and morter bass specialty places all over North America that do not have this kind of problem. This really seems like a special case beyond being wary of tire kickers wasting time in a store.