1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Theory Book - Free Download

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I found this online and thought it could be useful to a number of people who come to the GI forum looking for help with theory at a range of levels. It's quite nicely written and although a quick scan of this forum will show that almost any aspect of theory can be discussed at length, this little book is certainly not a bad place to start for those who want a solid background on which to base further study and investigation.

Note that the book was originally in three separate parts (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) to keep filesizes down, but I merged it into one PDF of eighty pages as the size of this single file is very reasonable these days with current connection speeds available to most Internet users.

The descriptions Basic, Intermediate and Advanced are relative to each other and of course there are aspects of theory that aren't covered (for example, the mathematics of temperament and hence how we get our usual chromatic scale). It's also somewhat guitar-orientated and inevitably there's a few typos here and there. But hey, it's only eighty pages and it's FREE.

Music Theory Basic Level (the one in my signature)
    Music Theory Intermediate
    Music Theory Advanced

I'm sure it's okay to post this here as the information can be freely downloaded, used and copied for educational and non-profit purposes (it says so in the introduction). Acknowledgement is due to "Eowyn" at www.mysongbook.com

I hope some of you find this useful and interesting - enjoy the read!

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2018
  2. Thanks, this looks like it is the all in one book everyone wants.

3. that-guy

that-guy

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne
    Fantastic!! I've been looking for something like this, Thankyou bassybill (and all the writers/contributers etc)!!!
    T_G

4. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Finished it in one read, great book! There are some really interesting concepts that gave me a ton of new ideas. This is the kind of information that you don't see everywhere. Thanks!

5. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Awesome. Thanks for posting this. Always good to refresh on some stuff and having in one book is nice.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    excellent intro to theory for sure, thanks for sharing Bill.
    honestly, it covers practically all you will ever really need to know as a working musicians.
    I particularly appreciate the emphasis on chords in the basic level and saving modes for the advanced level. Exactly how it ought to be.

Bass V likes this.
  7. Thanks for posting, Bill:)

8. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    great resource

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Downloaded.

Thanks for providing the file!

10. Sketchy

Sketchy

Jul 15, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks, Bill. I've been looking for advanced theory for a while, it's ridiculously hard to come by. You rock.

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Just downloaded it, lets see if I can benefit from it...

12. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is a really well-laid out introduction to theory; it definitely makes the most sense to put modes at the end. I like it!

13. Thanks for this! I'm always searching for new information regarding music theory (since I'm to stubborn to go to a teacher... :scowl:) This will be a great help.

14. Page 4 - isn't a 13th the 6th an octave higher?

BrewsterRooster likes this.
  15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Thank you. This book can't hurt me none. :)

16. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thank you
    I'll print it out from work tomorrow mwahahahaha.

17. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    Thank you, sir

18. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yes. In the same way the 9th is also the 2nd, and the11th is the 4th. Anytime you have an extension above the octave, just subtract 7 and it will give you the scale note.

I agree with everyone's assessment, this is a well laid out quick synopsis of basic theory. Thanks for posting it.

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  19. So that's a mistake on page 4 then: (a "13th" is a 5th an octave higher)

Fantastic resource just the same...

20. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Cheers!! :D I need this!