1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicians Friend not so friendly IMO

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yousaiditman, Nov 24, 2017.

1. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Endorsing Artist: (DNA) David Nordschow Amplification
    Hmm.. Just found out if you return something to musiciansfriend.com you get charged for the shipping even if it was "Free", PLUS you have to pay to send it back!! So I'm paying for shipping each way to return a $25 item. Kinda sucks.

I've bought several things over the years from them but never returned anything. Won't do biz with them again. Too many other online retailers that will cover shipping on returns and include the return label in the box.

2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    What you described is common for many online retailers. And there is often a charge for the included return label if used. I always make sure to read the fine print before buying.

osv and MJ5150 like this.
  3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    When I worked in a music store, people would "buy" items because they had a gig that weekend, then "return" the item expecting a full refund, essentially turning our store into a free-rental outlet. Stores have policies like this one to discourage that kind of abuse.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    They generally won’t do that if the item is returned as defective.

5. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    My only return with MF was several years ago. The Stupid Deal was an Alesis hand-held video/stereo audio recorder for a really low price. I ordered 7 of them to keep and sell or gift the rest. Turns out they were utter garbage. (Alesis isn't what they used to be, unfortunately.) I called to return them and they apologized for the lack of quality but I was still stuck with paying the return shipping. However, part of the deal was a free 2 gig thumb drive with each purchase, and the operator told me I could keep the thumb drives as a "repayment" for the lame quality of the Alesi, which was quite nice, so all told I broke even on the deal and still have most of the drives.

/CSB

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  6. In my case, a faulty SDOTD was returned free of charge. A headphone amp.
    That was about a year ago.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Kind of related, I was just remembering a few years ago there was some sort of computing error on the MF website that had Eden Navigator preamps listed for some stupidly low price like $200. A few members here were able to apply a Guitar Center discount and order them for even less. MF quickly realized what had happened and cancelled most of the orders, but if IIRC a member or two did receive the shipped Eden at the really low price.

8. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    In related news, MF used to be headquartered in Medford, OR, about 2.5 hours south of me. My buddy Rob used to work there and he was a phone/online tech support dude. They used to have a live chatroom you could go to and get support. I knew his nick (Tech2112) and would sign up with various annoying nicknames and troll him. PeaveyLuvr69 was my favorite. (This is before MF carried Peavey gear.) I'd try to get other customers to buy Peavey gear elsewhere until Rob would kick me out.

Good times! :D

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if there's an issue with the item you buy, MF will pay shipping both ways. if you just didn't like it, they do charge shipping both ways, but so do many online retailers.

amazon, btw, only charges return shipping if you return something because you didn't like it, and the return shipping is pretty low compared to other retailers.

MJ5150 likes this.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same exact experience for me.
    I don't have an issue with the policy.

-Mike

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Companies generally charge return shipping if there is no issue with the product to prevent people taking a free loan.

LiquidMidnight and MJ5150 like this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I once took a free loan on a bass from GC, but not really. I bought the thing to use but the day i got it i took it to play that night and it was so pitifully thin i took it back the next day. In fairness it sounded OK in the bass room, but in a big room, not so much. I just told them it was not for me and they gave the my cash back. They tried to write me a check, but i paid cash and i asked for cash when they trotted out with a check.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    So if the item isn't broken or defective, you expect the retailer to eat shipping both ways because you changed your mind?

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I like Music Store Live because you have 30 days to return something and they pay for the return shipping.