1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman, new for $140?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperBassSam, Sep 25, 2010.

1. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    I've just read a copy of my local freeads and in the instrument section there is an ad: "Bass Guitar, music man, played once, with bag, £70." I had a search on google and I can't see any Musicman basses sold new for that low. Can anyone suggest what this is likely to be?

Cheers

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    If it's too good to be true....

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'd guess an OLP Stingray. They used to be licensed by EBMM.

Bob

4. Stay away, it is nothing you want.

5. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    I'd check it out. Might be nothing, but what have you got to lose? Take cash just in case.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Price is missing a zero maybe?

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Three possibilities:

1. The seller doesn't know what he has, so he's selling it cheap.
    2. It's an OLP and that's an OK price for it.
    3. He's trying to scam people.

I'd bet it's #2.

8. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Could also be the Esses/SX version, which is very available on your side of the pond.

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Could be, but they wouldn't say MusicMan on them anywhere. Unless he's just describing it as a MusicMan and it doesn't say it anywhere on it.

The OLP will say somehting like "Licensed by EBMM" on the back of the headstock.

10. I'd check it out. There are a number of reasons why someone might do that. DeanT has the right idea in my opinion.

Divorce and inheritance make peope do silly things sometimes. Could be some "leftover junk" from a divorce. Could be some "leftover junk" from an inheritance/someone's death and the current owner doesn't want it and/or doesn't know anything about it.

Can't hurt to look into it.

11. circlechange

circlechange

Sep 29, 2009
    Red Bank
    Forgot a zero.

12. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Well, I just rang the number and started chatting to the owner, and I asked for a bit more info and she said that she'd bought it off a friend who'd only played it once, and that all the invoice said about it was that it was a Musicman, made by a company called Vintage.

It was worth a go though, hey.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021