1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Preamp&pickup upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mahavishnubass, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Mahavishnubass

Mahavishnubass

Oct 6, 2007
    Hi guys,

I own a Musicman Stingray 4 strings made in 2003.

I would like to change the preamp and the pickup because the volume is not the same on the E-A strings and on the D-G strings. Also, i found that the output on the G string was significantly weaker than the other strings and also a lack of clarity. I want more bass and mid but less high.

Here are some suggestions but i don't know which one to choose.

-Bartolini MMC pickup & NTMB 3 band preamp
    -Seymour Duncan(Basslines) SMB-4a pickup & STC-3M4 preamp

-Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup & John East BTB MMSR preamp

-Aguilar OBP3 preamp?

Please help me for my quest! Thank you very much!

2. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    Is your Stingray a 3 band model? I swapped my 3 band for a 2 band copy from ebay & love it. I no longer have the desire to swap the pickup. There is often talk of the Stingray 3 band pre causing weak G string output. Personally I recommend trying that first.

3. guys, play the instruments before buying them =/

4. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    That's sound advice, however if you live a little more than spitting distance from San Louis Obispo (Tasmania for example), it can be a little difficult. With my SR4 I did have the chance to play 1st, and I played it stock for about 7 years, after finally tracking one down in Tasmania, however my Streamer, Thumb & SR5 I had to buy without seeing. Same goes for my SVT610-AV, HBP-1, SA450, NL-210 and other previous gear. That's why we seek the advice of others on here - saves an overnight ferry ride. Actually, the 610 & Demeter I imported from the USA.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Have you messed with the PUP height at all?

The MM preamp and PUPs are pretty sweet stuff. Anything you mentioned above will not sound like a MM.

IMO and YMMV...

6. Raise the D-G side of the pickup a bit.

7. Raising the treble side of the pickup is certainly the place to start. However, this is a very common problem with the StingRay's. Out of the two I've owned, one had a very weak G string output.

My opinion is favorable on the Basslines or Norstrand/East setups. The Bart MM's that I have heard don't sound like a StingRay at all.

8. ecufunk

ecufunk

Nov 19, 2007
    man the nordstrand and the east pre is a killer combination it´s so powerfull you will be extremely happy with that bartilini CB MM are good but nordstrand 4.2 has more precense really great pickups and east pre make even better NORDSTRAND-EAST thats the combo bro

9. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm in the same spot as the OP with my SR4, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I am considering the Nordstrand / East combo based on the experiences I've had with East J-Retro products. Any other experiences with this combo or a different pickup with the East MM pre? DeLano? All advice welcomed and appreciated.

10. Sterling Ball has said on the EBMM Forum many times that the reason for the weaker G-string output is NOT the pickup, but the pre-amp. He will not redesign the pre-amp as it is part of the Stingrays Signature sound. My 2008 HH does not have this problem.