1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Stingray or G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumeni Notes, May 16, 2011.

Which would you recommend?

Poll closed May 26, 2011.
  1. EBMM Stingray

35.9%
  2. G&L L-2000

33.0%
  3. Another bass

16.7%
  4. I like carrots

14.5%
  1. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I am posting this thread on behalf of a fellow TB'er. He requested that I post the thread because he is still relatively new to the bass scene and wanted to make sure that he did not get the model numbers mixed up.

Anyway, he expressed an interest in the 4-string MusicMan Stingray basses. He played some at a local guitar store and was very impressed with their tone. I had mentioned that I play a G&L L-2000 and was very happy with the bass.

Thus, we visited a couple of local guitar stores this weekend and he played both the Stingray and the G&L and is now leaning toward the G&L. I mentioned that G&L also has a Tribute version that is less expensive, but I have not played one, but have heard good things about them.

So, for his second bass, would you recommend an EBMM Stingray or G&L L-2000?

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    now lets have a good clean fight.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Blind shot recommendation: EBMM Sterling HH.
    Don't really have enough information to go off of, at all. Also, keep in mind, there's the new import SBMM Ray34s he can check out too, that are really stellar basses!

4. nbabakitis

nbabakitis

Jan 29, 2010
    phoenix, az
    He should go with what he likes, he's going to be the one playing it. They're both excellent instruments can't really make a bad choice on this one.

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The L-2000 is obviously more versatile tone wise but the Tribute L-2000 has a baseball bat neck so if thats a concern then maybe the MM. I recently tried the Ray 34 Classic at Scam Ash and it sounded and played great for about the same price as a Tribute L2K.

6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    There's no "wrong" choice here. Whichever he prefers. I've had several examples of both, and I prefer a Stingray. But that's me.

7. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I agree, however, we both are active members of Talkbass and I told him lets get some feedback from our fellow TB'ers.

Also, remember this poll is on which would be a better choice for a second bass. I believe his first bass is a Fender Squire Jazz that he bought on Craigslist. Although, I do not currently own a EBMM Stingray, I like them and perhaps will aquire one someday.

8. I love my Ray but GL has some great instruments as well...whatever looks, feels, and sounds best to him

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I prefer the L2000, broader tonal spectrum, more comfortable neck, less expensive and it's hard to beat the G&L saddlelock bridge but again this is just my opinion.

Plus they look great.

P1000691.

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use both regularly and love them both, but if I'm going into an uncertain situation (don't know what material will be covered or what backline I'll be plugging into) and need a "Swiss Army Bass" that will give me a lot of options, it's the L2000 every time. As much as I like my Rays, the L2K is so much more versatile - and can do a pretty convincing Stingray impression, too.

11. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Used USA G&L are an excellent value and they have a variety of neck profiles.

Personally I vastly prefer G&L to EBMM in general. Im not sure what it is but I have tried to like stingrays. I just dont care for them. Ill take an L2000 over a ray any day.

12. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Here is a picture of my beauty:

Attached Files:

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I prefer the G&Ls but you cant go wrong either way. Oh and I have two G&L Tributes and even though the L2500's neck is a little wide (as most 5ers are) the L2000's neck is NOT a "baseball bat". Not even close. I dont have huge hands either and I dont have any problems even with the L2500 Tribby.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd like for the people who're saying that G&Ls are more "versatile" than EBMMs to elaborate on that, please. I have exactly zero issues with getting any of my EBMMs to sit in any situation perfectly. I feel that EBMMs and G&Ls are both hugely versatile, having owned and gigged both. My "go to" is an EBMM Sterling, though. I can get a passable G&L tone from the EBMM, but I can't get the same passable EBMM tone from the G&L.

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Lakland 44-01, best bass for the money. :bassist:

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I hope you call her "Penny".

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I would pick the Stingray any day, but I am not a fan of G&L at all. YMMV

18. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Controls and features? An L2000 is obviously more versatile in that regard than say a single H ray for example. HH is different of course. However versatile can mean different things. You are saying that you can make your ebmm bass work in any situation which is fine but thats not necessarily related to how many different tonal options you can obtain from the available controls. Someone else might be able to take just one of the 18 configurations of an L2000 and make it work in any playing setting too.

Tone is completely different though and clearly subject to personal preference. Me - I dont care for the tone of EBMM basses so regardless of their available configurations, I likely wouldnt be happy with one in many different playing situations. Similarly someone who doesnt care for the tones of G&L will likely not find it very versatile. :oops::D

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    If it were me I'd buy a used L-2000 (preferably on TB classifieds).

Number 1, they are more versatile and Number 2, they're a better value on the used market (although I've noticed used G&L bass prices making a significant upturn the last 6-12 months... maybe the secret is out).

20. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    This guy is correct on all accounts.....l2000 is more versatile .... Ray is better at doing the ray thing....What bass will your guy like? Depends on him. I will say this, I think either one of these instruments will immediately become his main player....G&L and Music men don't usually back up squiers ....not that there is anything wrong with those :) !