1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicmaster wiring issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbully, Dec 18, 2011.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I pulled a few trades and picked up a cool 74' Musicmaster that was Oly white now yellowed. The bass had a bad input jack so I swapped it out in the shop and sprayed out the pots that were not to great. It was sounding allot better but not great.

I got it home and thing went worse, not only did it stay full on tone when the tone pot was turned it made massive buzzing and cutting in and out when the tone pot was moved. I was even faintly picking up a radio station thru my amp at times:rolleyes:
    I went back to the shop and the owner gave me two 250k CTS pots and I switched out the tone pot and thought ..well thats it...nope. Same issues thru the bass as before. The volume pot seems ok could it be the caps? Here is another thing this bass doesnt have only one it has two caps. One a disk the other a orange drop type sitting over the disk, I have never seen this before.

I know this bass has a strat pickup in it do they normally have 2 caps? Should I gut the bass and start over? Help.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The buzzing and cutting out sounds like some kind of bad connection (possibly on the jack or the pot you haven't swapped out?)

My Musicmaster also had two caps, one of which bled off highs even when the tone knob was all the way up. I didn't much care for that. When I installed a new pickup, I made a whole new wiring harness, wired like a P-bass and never looked back. (I did hang on to the old wiring, though - just in case some future collector wants it...)

3. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Yes, wire it like a PBass and get a good pickup. You won't believe the difference.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thanks guys. I think its the volume pot and it has a slight miss in it that causes the buzzing. It was sprayed out again and its better but not completely gone. I am picking up a 78' P bass pot and cap set from the dealer and will put that in but plan on keeping the stock pup. I like to keep them as original as possible.