1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

must everything "pop"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, May 25, 2012.

1. For years, there's always been the discussion in my family of "entertainment vs Art". My folks have always been enamored with pop vs......"real" music. By real I of course mean with content.

These days, it only seems to decline. I'm waiting for single note performances from Lady Gaga before walking off the stage.

Yet again, my family is entranced this morning watching an interview with Pitbull, harkening back the old conversation of "entertainment vs art".

"with your talent you can make and do what can make you a success when you stop trying to fight it". It seems to be the only words I hear these days.

Viral videos. Autotune. Synth Music. Programmed parade music.

A brief response out of the few I came back with was "......And enlayered with a thin veil of glitter, a fart abruptly emerges".

DO PEOPLE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE A ****IN APPRECIATION FOR REALITY ANYMORE!?

2. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    You should watch this movie. The first 30min alone is worth it.

3. seeing as I'm at **** and I can't really watch anything, I would have found value in more conversation, but nonetheless, I appreciate your recommendation.

The fact tho is.........is it really possible to survive being a "musician" now that music just doesn't really seem to embrace musicality? I mean, last album I bought, I'm sure most would judge it as stereotypical metal.......but there's notes, there's speed, there's vocals, **** thats taken a group of "musicians" years to perfect. And then there's that damn replay of "poker face". Poker face? really? is that what embodies people's souls?

I started playing metal because I was sick of the love song generation. Not because I wanted to be popular among such stars as Britney Spears.

4. This is reality. What exactly is wrong with something that's different and has a little more zazz?

5. pop simply means what is popular, just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less real.

Also, such complaints are nothing new. You'll always get people who prefer "the way things were before" vs the current crop.

Heck, look at Cage's piece " 4′33″ ", and that's 50 years old. Look at a lot of the experimental stuff from the 60s and 70s (*cough* YOKO *cough*).

I don't get the entertainment vs art thing though. It's all art, it may just not be as entertaining to some.

Many of the people I know who comment on the decline of music promote obscure Jazz, which can have limited entertainment value, or technical/math metal, which can likewise be limited in entertainment.

Music is music is music. If you like it or not, well, that's just personal preference. But I'm glad we still have such massive variety :)

Though I would say that most people seem fairly content with shying away from reality. Escapism isn't always a bad thing, though it can go too far!

6. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I echo the above statement. What I hear as music may be drastically different that what anyone else does. Doesn't makethem wrong, even though I do say it does. LOL.

7. Like the reference to the fart remark I made....This generation's music just reminds me SO MUCH of the stupid, dispensible GLAM ROCK bands that came out singing rock anthems with overly feathered hairdoos dressed in spandex that are now buried under the small fortunes of rock stars like a needle in a haystack, serving no actual significance to the masses of today. Isn't the point of history to learn from our mistakes? That was one very silly era.

Even the show metalocalypse can get the message (watch the Dr Rockso episodes), why can't these people? (it's free on demand)

I mean, I'm trying to make a mix of hardcore trance and grind, but you don't hear me saying it's going to be the best thing ever, I'm doing it because I think an alternate genre to today's music that can be popular is necessary.

Whats even more insulting, is the family that supposedly believes they connect with me, still believe that somehow this is just some "phase". This entire conversation just leaves me with anxiety to that, despite what I believe in, it's worth nothing to the people that should be the most important to me. "oh you're just in a cycle, you'll see that it was all a waste of time and make us proud in a matter of a few years." Thats what I'm hearing.

8. ......There's music for the people that want to drown out the awkward silence where conversation is not present in their cars, and there's music for people that legitimately love music.

9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Lady Gaga,Rihanna,Beyonce etc. entertains the uneducated ears. Those ears do not understand, want anything that has more to it.

Some people prefer to listen to less complicated music and never educating their ears.

Some others realize there is more to it and go for that road. This is harder than the other and I think it has to be in the person, so many people won't take that road.

10. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Art is/will be interpreted differently person to person.
    Some people just want to have a good time with backround music, jump around and get messed up too.
    Some people want to see technical ability, excellent compositions, and judge every single note that is being played on the stage.

I think this is amazing. I don't think I will see anyone playing this on daytime radio.

Pop music inspires a lot of bands to try new sounds, such as yourself. Challenge you to try and make something original and unique. Which you probably wont... :p
    Or just copy whats popular and make money. Either way... Your art is your art. And I'm sure there will be all kinds of negative energy coming your way too. Music is real personal.
    As long as you play what you like with heart/passion and have an audience who cares.

11. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

I agree, I aspire to create a great and complex prog rock band at some point in my life (I'm 14), but those aspirations slowly fade as I realize nobody will want to listen to my complex music and would much rather listen to simple sexual drone they can understand with the couple of brain cells they have left... :atoz:

12. Every time I see that phrase, I find myself thinking exactly two words. "Look harder"

Don't expect pop music to fall in line with what you dig, it probably won't happen but there's plenty of other stuff out there that was made "this generation" that I'm sure you'd like. Try Pandora.

13. Damn, my ears had no idea that they were uneducated... I honestly don't know how I'm gonna break the news to them :atoz:.

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Don't tell me you're a bassist and playing Lady Gaga covers all the time.:D

are you?:ninja:

15. lol well, you can always try listening to 32nd note blast beats and sweep picked diminished chords with high gain :D. I mean, thats just Brain Drill, Beneath the Massecre, and Cattle Decapitation. Just for a few unlistenable names loolllll

16. Methinks he was.

17. Not ALL of the time... just some times!

And sometimes singing...

And sometimes dancing...

But that's all beside the point :D!

I actually listen to a ton of metal but I just cannot do Death, Tech Death and whatever it is that Protest the Hero does. That stuff sounds to me how I imagine Lady Gaga sounds to you.

18. This is an ironically cliche' gripe usually presented by those who seek to elevate the value of their own choices by dismissing things they do not appreciate.

19. well its musical growth! I mean Gaga........it all sounds reminisce of a shampoo commercial's music.

20. Elevate myself? God forbid! Yes, shame! Smite me for wanting to evolve art rather than give the people in grocery stores something catchy to listen to!