1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muting E String With Cheek?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by fu22ba55, Dec 20, 2018.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This question proves I'm obviously not an accomplished classical player--I'm a jazz player getting more and more into arco.

While playing certain lyrical jazz melodies (arco), my E string vibrates sympathetically. (And sometimes my A string). I can usually dampen the string with my left hand, but at times it's easier to just "lean in" to the fingerboard and dampen the E string with my big fat head.

Is this acceptable? What should I be doing instead?

2. I'm sure it's not proper technique but it completely sounds like something I would do, too. :)

fu22ba55 likes this.
  3. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Techniques have to originate somewhere, right? Maybe I'll try this cheeky thing out... Bet I could get some harmonics out with my chin too...

fu22ba55 likes this.
  4. Joe Guastafeste often used his jaw to check pitch. I would venture to say that this is usually what is happening when you see bassist do that. It has often saved my intonation when I could not easily hear myself otherwise.

Neil Pye and fu22ba55 like this.