MXL606 – quite a surprise

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rolandm, Jun 27, 2017.

1. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    19274780_1946587995366581_423437463797860793_n.jpg

If memory serves, Chris Fitzgerald used this mic some time ago, but I couldn't locate the specific thread, so I'm adding this here.

I use this to mic my Chadwick Folding Bass for duo and jazz trio gigs, using an Audix CabGrabber instead of an H-Clamp (the cab-grabber is about $100 cheaper and just needs a little additional padding). I had toyed with the idea of mounting an inexpensive condenser mic for some time, and I finally borrowed an Audio Technica u873r condenser from a friend to try it out. I was pretty hooked on it after that for duos and jazz trio gigs, but I didn't have the $250-$300 for a new one of mu own. So I scoured Amazon and found the MXL606. The response curve looked as flat as I could imagine, and I pulled the trigger on a Warehouse Deal, just to hedge my bets a bit in case I didn't like it.

I need not have worried.

The mic sounds great, is solidly constructed and looks fantastic. For my bass, it worked best pointed directly at the treble-side bridge foot from below. Pushed towards the bass-side it got a bit more trebly, and pushed towards the treble F-hole, it was very bassy. Use that as a guide to what you want tone-wise.

The little carrying case will keep it safe when tucked in with other gear between shows, but the one thing I would caution here is that little mic clip. It's just a plastic clip, and when you're mounted to my Juzek which resonates at about the same pitch as an open A ( 55Hz or any multiple thereof) got a sympathetic buzz out of the little fellow, and try as I might, I couldn't tighten it up or get rid of it.

The solution was simple, though. I took a normal-sized, rubberized mic clip, and put a pair of velcro-wraps inside the throat of it, loop-side in, and slid the MXL606 in there. Fit snuggly, held the mic, and damped any vibrations running through the body of the CabGrabber, or just vibrating the mic.

All in all, a GREAT deal on a GREAT little mic. I would buy it again in a heartbeat if it was lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've never used one live, but I've done extensive recording with a pair of MXL 603s mics, always with great results. It's only actually this year that I'm getting around to upgrading these for my home recording setup. Glad you're getting some good use out of them! I discovered them over at an old bulletin board about recording. I asked this very generous older recording engineer a pretty basic question about mic usage, and he filled the thread with so much information it's basically become my textbook on microphone usage! Anyway, he liked the 603s a lot for the price, which is why I bought a pair.

3. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    @ChrisFitzgerald Yep. They're very close in nature, with the 606 having the bass roll-off as well as the -20db cut. Well, that and the fact that you can change out the capsules on yours, and I'm not sure that the 603s would fit the 606 capsule. The fun test is gonna be a low-key wine tasting event this weekend. Dragging along my piezo rig, just in case, though. LOL.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Want to know what's really funny? All these years I've had those mics, I never knew the capsules unscrewed. I never knew I could order omni caps for those... probably too late now. Learn something new every day!

And yes, I would definitely have a pickup on hand for your gig. The mic is likely to pick up a lot of extraneous noise even if there's no drummer. Good luck!

5. Quick sidebar: what an awesome thread... thanks MUCHLY for posting Chris!

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Don't thank me, thank Harvey! All I did was ask a simple question. What an incredible resource he created by way of answering... his response never ceases to amaze me and give me faith in humanity.

rolandm and Vince Waldon like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022