1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Blowtorch 18v work w/ 9v power adapter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by harrier_2552, Apr 24, 2010.

1. harrier_2552

harrier_2552

Nov 9, 2009
    I just got a MXR Blowtorch and it is an 18v. My entire pedal board though is based off of 9v. I have a Boss BCB-60. Will the blowtorch work off of the 9v power supply so that I will only have to plug one power adapter into the wall?

2. You might want to try it first. I mean, being 9 volts, you wont be hurting anything if you do. You'll have less headroom and stuff.

At least I don't think it will.

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had to do this a couple of times when I still had my Blowtorch. It works, mostly. I can't exactly remember, but you either get less volume, more gain, less gain...something like that - definitely related to a loss of headroom. I was able to make some adjustments and get reasonably close to "exactly like" it sounded running off of 18v.

You're better off getting an 18v power supply for long term use, IMO.

4. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
  5. You shouldn't hurt anything by running it on 9v. The principle is the same as running a 9v pedal with a battery that is on its way out.

If it sounds ok when you power it up, then it should be ok. The extra voltage just gives the pedal more headroom and allows it to function as it was designed. Less power just might cause it to fart out or do any of the other things that usually tell you that a pedal has a dieing battery.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've tried a 9 volt on my blowtorch and it sounded pretty crappy - the kind of clipping i was getting was not pleasing to the ear.

trace elliot used to make an 18 v adapter that i use for mine. think dunlop does too.

7. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    Just tried my Blowtorch with 9v, sounded a bit more raspy not as smooth than using 18v ...... Lapicide

8. harrier_2552

harrier_2552

Nov 9, 2009
  9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  10. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Gator G-BUS-8-US Deluxe Pedal Board Power Supply
    has 3 x 18v outs in addition to the 8 x 9v outs!

I use it and its pretty sweet for under $100.00

11. harrier_2552

harrier_2552

Nov 9, 2009
    i already have the boss bcb-60 for my pedalboard. $30 isn't too bad to not have to have another power adapter...plus i need to get some strings so i could take advantage of the free shipping aspect :)

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    alrighty then :).