1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Fuzz Deluxe vs El Grande & Blowtorch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I've tried to search for this, but was coming up empty -- if there is a thread, please just link me over.

Can anyone comment or compare/contrast between the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe, MXR El Grande fuzz, and the MXR Blowtorch?

I'm interested in the Bass Fuzz Deluxe, but can't find one local to try out... I already own the El Grande & Blowtorch and am curious how they are all similar/different.

Thanks!

2. bassmanmicah

bassmanmicah

Jul 19, 2012
    Indiana
    I can't attest to the El Grande or the Blowtorch, but this pedal is incredible. I stopped at a local Sam Ash yesterday and tested 8-10 different pedals, since my Boss ODB-3 was sounding like crap, as was my sansamp bass Driver. I liked what I heard online from the Ibanez Phat Hed, which I found cheap and ordered for my chili pepper like distortion (Around the World kind of tone). I had never heard of this pedal, but they had one used. I bought it today, and it is a badass pedal no doubt. Great vintage fuzz sound. Can dial in a good Cliff Burton sound with my wah, as well as a strong Larry Graham old school funk fuzz. The separate Dry and Wet control knobs really make for a versatile setup. You won't be disappointed in this pedal. I'm only disappointed I didn't find it sooner. Works best in a pedalboard effects loop. I plugged in direct and sounded good, but when I ran it through the signal loop of my head it clipped some. Running it through my furman pedalboard though really brought it to 11. Great pedal all around. Think Big Muff Bass, on steroids. :)

3. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Out of those three, the BFD is the one you want. This has a blend option and retains low end punch throughout the fuzzzzzz. El Grande and Blowtorch are very different. There are clips on youtube that offer a good basis of comparison.

BFD:
    worth noting... the Blowtorch is 18 volt.

Good luck.

4. Bump for thoughts comparing the gain structures of these pedals.... I own two, but I am curious as to the flavor of the BFD in comparison. Thanks!

5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Let me try to help here.

The Blowtorch is primarily a distortion pedal capable of mild to borderline fuzz distortion. It's generally quite aggressive in tone and offers lots of tweaking tone options. I would describe it as modern sounding.

The El grande Fuzz is an over the top fuzz capable of huge amount of gain and bass. With most basses only the first third of the gain structure is usable, after that the gain is to intense the tone turns to white noise. It's a one trick poney but what a trick!

The Bass Fuzz Deluxe is a fuzz with a blend option. It's got the fizzy top Color Sound Tone Benders are known for. Because of the tone correction, blend and usable gain structure (from minimum to maximum) is capable of a lot of different tones. It generally has a retro feel to it.

If I could own one, that would be the Blow Torch, if I could own two out of the three, I would have the Blow Torch and Bass Fuzz Deluxe.

Driven Crane likes this.
  6. Thanks Laurent... that helps a bit more. I got smokin' deals on my Blowtorch & El Grande... dig 'em, but wasn't sure if there was a reason I should still be GAS'n for the new BFD. Looks like a different color is sure to be had, might as well own all 3!!!!!

7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    It's justifiable, they're all completely different tones!

8. My wallet curseth you... :ninja:

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Had Blowtorch, didn't really dig the whole nasaly farty synth like very very focused gated tone. In band mix, it did cut through, but it didn't really have much noticable dirt (we're a loud hard rock trio though, but still, other pedals worked a lot better). Separate 18V adapter was also a PITA to carry. I prefer fatter, dirtier fuzz, OD and distortion pedals.

10. Such as....?

11. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    This is the Bass distortion i am looking for.
    Of course this is a video.. and the guy has a Spector.. But i spoke with the engineer and he said the studio cut was a P bass but did not know the distortion pedal used..
    What will get you here

12. I tried out the El Grande and liked it. I listened to someone else play the BFD and it was great sounding, too. There's a difference though.

13. vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    This is more of a cranked tube amp thing. You could probably dial it up with a VT Bass.

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    my engineer friend just texted Vai yesterday and told me what you said... wow..
    says it was a cranked up Ampeg amp..
    I have an SVT too.. Ill need to wind it up.// and try that... its gonna get loud here in a minute....

15. vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Damn these ears of mine. lol
    :smug:

16. I did not try the other ones but I love my Bass Fuzz Deluxe!

17. Good job... why isn't there a high-five smilie? Looks like you helped with great advice & then THE man spoke up with a "good answer."

18. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
    I own one and have for a couple of years now...

The only part of your assessment I disagree with is the "mild to borderline fuzz distortion" part.

It's capable of RIDICULOUSLY high amounts of sawtooth synth-style fuzz... it can reach almost obscene levels, which would probably be unusable for most situations.

There's a "Torch" button on the side, and with that control engaged, the gain up and the blend favoring the wet signal, the saturation is out of control... it hardly resembles a "bass guitar" anymore at all. This setting most closely resembles what the "El Grande" fuzz is capable of.

With the Torch button off, the pedal sounds/behaves much more like the Fuzz Deluxe.

Other points to note is that the Blowtorch has 18V 3-band EQ with switchable mids... the midrange control is especially handy in getting you to cut through the mix, as getting buried is typically the biggest problem when using a fuzz of this kind... at least in my experience.

I don't use it for much... a couple of MUSE covers I was doing in a money/cover band I was in had a need for it... but it's definitely an interesting pedal to have around.

Driven Crane likes this.
  19. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have the El grande and it seems to retain low end

20. stavros911

stavros911

Apr 19, 2011
    Greece
    Happy new year!
    As an owner of the el Grande and the blowtorch... i have to say that i like more the sound of the first one but finally i prefer the second one because of its variety. The el grande is just Fuzz without a blender which means that in a band it's quite difficult to stand as a bassist. I'd like to have a BFD but i can't find it.

Here is my band's demo where i recorded bass using the el grande and only that... http://www.spine-chilling-breeze.com/?p=15