1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M 82 Bass Envelope Filter vs Moog MF-101 Low Pass Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Negative1, May 16, 2017.

1. Negative1

Negative1

Aug 8, 2012
    Hey I'm looking into buying a new bass envelope filter and after a lot of research I concluded into these two pedals (the ones on the topic) but I can't decide which one since I like both of them. The only concern to me is that the MF-101 is much more expensive compared to the MXR M 82 and I play synth too, so I was thinking about using the filter on my synthesizer too, but I don't know whether the MXR M 82's frequencies fit an analogue synthesizer. Any thoughts? Thank you!

2. chumbo73

chumbo73

Nov 8, 2012
    MXR is bandpass and MF is lowpass

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    No comparison here IMO. MOog all the way.

4. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    It's nice having a band-pass option on an EF, but I find LPFs much more useful and musical if it's one or the other.

5. I normally only dig the low pass stuff, but the clean blend on the MXR allows the band pass to be much more usable and feel a bit more like the low pass vibes...

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Apples and giraffes. As you're noticing there's more love for the Moog, especially if you're doing the synth thing.

This being TB, I should also recommend you look at the Iron Ether Deluxe Xerograph.

7. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I've owned both. If you want your bass to sound like lasers, MXR all the way. If you want the juiciest, funkiest low pass filter that can get absolutely wild when combined with other cv options (or even a dirt pedal! I use a TAFM + Subterannea combo and I can't get enough of that tone), the moog is the way to go. I'll admit that I'm partial to moog and ended up selling my MXR years ago but that's only because out of all the phasers, ring mods, flange/chorus and envelope filters out there, the moogerfooger a sound the best and work together amazingly.

That being said, if I could only have one pedal it would be the mf-101 over anything else. It might seem a little big and pricey but it's worth every inch and cent. It's also the cheapest (tied with the ring mod) of the moogerfooger line, for what it's worth. Plugging an expression pedal into the cutoff cv input also lets you use the moog as a wah pedal, if that matters to you. The MXR can't do that. You can also get a nice low subby dub tone if you set the envelope amount to 0. It basically becomes a static filter at that point. If you're gonna shell out for the mxr you might as well spend a few more dollars to get the moog IMO.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021