1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M82 BEF - Envelope Filter & Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by morrisonhendrix, Dec 20, 2011.

1. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    OK, I did a search and didn't find anything on this topic, so here goes. I bought a MXR BEF and tried it with my Warrior with dual humbuckers (Barts). I've tweaked the pedal every way you can, tweaked the settings on the bass (even made it as trebly as possible and also just using the bridge pickup) and still can't get a decent quack out of it. Yes, I've tried playing very percussive, even with a pick too, to no avail.

While this is my first filter, and I've read a TON of material here on TB about different filters, and I just don't think it's my type of filter. I want to love it and get it to quack really well. I'm going to try it with my jazz bass and see if the single coils and its' preamp give me anything different. However, the Warrior is my main player and will continue to be.

Any suggestions/opinions?

2. With filters the best way to get it to quack or register is to use mids. Too much bass and the frequency wobbles, but its so undefined. I would cut a little bass and boost a little bit of mids in the 150-300 area. That being said, I tried tto like the mxr m82 but ended up selling it and getting a Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter.

3. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, I cut all the bass the off and tried to boost the mids and that didn't work. I initially was going to get the Source Audio and didn't. I am looking at getting one now.

4. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Anyone else have this problem?

5. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Admittably never tried either, but I'm glad this thread came up. I was debating between the two, would opt for Source Audio at this point, although the MXR is so nice and small

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know, but using a Ric 4004Cii with twin humbuckers, I get that MXR BEF to do whatever I want it to. You may need a boost in front of it maybe. (I don't, but you may)

7. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    When I first got it, I tried it by itself and wasn't that impressed. I just chalked that up to not having time to tweak it. However, I've got a BBE compressor in front of it now, and even with the compressor off, it's not even as good as it was by itself.

8. Do you have an overdrive pedal or distortion? That'll push it too.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I really have to wonder what the deal is here. What you're saying doesn't make sense--and I don't mean that as an insult, I just mean it doesn't add up.

First thing is, humbuckers come in a wide range of designs, output levels, and dynamic qualities--so the problem is not humbuckers, though maybe it's something about your specific bass.

Second thing, when you said you "couldn't get a decent quack out of it" people assumed you meant the filter wouldn't open up enough, which is why a boost would help, since the envelope follower will be triggered more. But then you say you just weren't "that impressed" with it, and that adding a boost doesn't help, which makes me think maybe you mean the filter opens and closes exactly the way it's supposed to, but you just don't like the sound. Is that more of what you meant?

10. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Bongo,

I can see where you are confused, maybe I wasn't clear. I understand that humbuckers come in a wide variety, and while I don't know the specific Bart model that is in my Warrior, I thought I'd mention it in case others had the same experience. Specifically, to my ears, a single coil jazz pickup has way more bite to trigger the filter. My question really should've been, generally speaking, has anyone noticed a difference between single coils and humbuckers with the M82? So yes, I'm trying to see if it's not only a humbucker thing (I know, there's a ton of them) or perhaps what you are saying, that maybe it's just my bass, period.

Yes, a boost may help, that's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Maybe I need a specific type of boost, I don't know.

You're right again, maybe it is opening up like it should and I just don't like it. But I don't think that's the case because the written/video reviews I seen have it opening up much more that what I can get out of it.

To Von Felgenhauer, yes I have a EHX Bass Big Muff PI, a Boss ODB-3, El Grande Fuzz and other effects.

Does that clarify anything?

11. Try putting some dirt in front of the filter. You might like that sound.

12. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    If you're saying that you can't get it to open up enough, and you've tried boosts, etc, there's a small chance you have a defective unit. I used to have one of these, and I could make it do whatever I wanted with any bass I owned with a few minor adjustments of the settings. From my experience, the M82 is one of the easiest filters to get a good sound from. Is there any way you could make some kind of recording, audio or video, that would help us solve your problem?

13. Sounds like you just don't dig it. There are plenty out there to try though. I can say that it's got nothing to to with the humbuckers though.

14. I have a Peavey T-40 and an Epi Ripper. The T-40 actually sounds better with the M82 and it has humbuckers(I never use it in single coil mode). I have to turn the sensitivity knob up a bit with the Ripper. So like others have said I don't think it's the buckers. I will say that I'm slowly starting to not really like the way it sounds. It sounds great to me sometimes and other times I want to get rid of it. Have you tried really pounding on yer strings?

15. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Let me put some dirt/boost in front of it and see what happens. I kind of get the feeling that it may be a defective unit too. I don't really have an interface to do a recording. I'll report back after I mess with it again.

16. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Yes, I've slapped and popped the $hit out of it, used a pick, fingerstyle, everything.

17. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

When you play thru it, does your pedal sound like Uriah's pedal on his video?

18. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    No, and that's one of the main comparisons I'm relying on.

19. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Two questions...

1) Have you checked your connections to make sure your patch cables are fully inserted?

2) Have you adjusted the sensitivity setting to make sure it's adjusted to your attack based on your volume level?

Lonnybass

20. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    OK, I think I figured it out. It's very sensitive to the master volume on my bass. Some of you may be saying, "duh", but it seems there's a sweet spot with the volume knob, where it responds best about midway up instead of full volume. I also switched the Monster Cable going from the MXR output to the amp with a cheaper cable. My memory was jogged by Lonnybass' post about the cables being fully inserted. While the Monster Cable was fully inserted into the MXR output, I remembered it was very hard to get in there. However, so was the cheaper cable I swapped it for. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, probably not.

What a weird situation. Maybe I was just a dumbass, but I can't imagine why it responds best to a specific volume level from my bass. BTW, this was just the bass directly into the MXR and directly into the amp.