1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Variphase

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowbass68, Apr 20, 2009.

1. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Just picked up a near mint used Variphase (fairly cheap). Overall is does just what I want it to do. I actually like the tone better than my phase 90 because it seems to retain a little more low end.

My only grip is that it boosts volume when engaged. I heard this before getting it so I knew this was a common gripe, but the boost is more than I really thought it would be. Even when the pedals volume is set to minimum. Also tweeked the internal trims with no luck. Has anyone modded one of these to tame the volume boost?

The pedal will be in a channel on a loopmaster, so my alternative is to install a bumper under the pedals heel so the switch never is touched by the pedal thus it stays on. Then have a volume control post effect in the channel.

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    A simple resistor addition could help with the volume issue. But if it's all SMDs and board mounted jacks and pots then it would be hard to do.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    rcubed,
    that was my first thought too, but it has lovely board mounted jacks, pots, switch, and is mostly SMD components. The box states it is RoHS complient (lead free) too so I think it uses lead free solder. Miss the good ol' days of easy to fix stuff.

Was hoping that there was a simple solution someone had that I was overlooking, other than the using external volume and disabling the switch like I mentioned.

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Is there a trimpot for volume? If so, you might be able to swap that out for a higher valued one.

5. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Internally, there are 2 trims but they did not seem to effect volume. One seems to change the phase sweep, the other really did not do much that I could tell.
    Externally there is a Mix and a Volume. Mix seems to adjust the depth of the phase with some of the dry signal. The volume (500k pot) when set at minimum gives a large boost when the pedal is engaged. When set at max it sends my amp in to a bitch'n overdrive that sounds really cool, but not the intension of the pedal.

The pedal is similar to the Dunlop 105Q Crybaby in that the switch is released when the pedal is rocked forward. Since it is spring loaded, when your foot is off the pedal is returns to the "cocked" position and presses the switch. My alternative is to place a rubber bumper under the rear of the pedal and keep it from pressing the switch. Then have a small volume control post effect to cut the boost a little. Tried this using a Boss GEB-7 and it worked fine, not an ideal solution but workable. Other than the volume issue, the pedal works great.

6. Manny Dylan

Manny Dylan

Oct 25, 2015
    I just added this to my bass rig as well!

p bass with rosewood fretboard, has the Geezer Butler EMG pickups in it, into an Aguilar Tonehammer preamp, into the phase pedal, into a gb shuttle 9.0

In short I actually like the slight boost, especially because with the phase sound the signal seems to oscillate a bit, at least to me it sounds like it's just compensating for that.