Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Bass is falling apart! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scott, May 26, 2004.

1. Just recently I was practicing with some buddies and the little thing that the strap goes over completely came out. It was screwed in there pretty good when I started playing but I guess from all the movement it just popped out. I tried screwing it back in but had no luck. What should I do, should I just try to use some kind of glue? Please help.

Any advice would be great. Thanks Folks

Scott

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Put a toothpick and mark where it comes out of the body. Then use this measurement and cut some toothpicks to this length. Next, put a small amount of wood glue in the hole, then screw the screw back in.

3. if the hole is stripped out you can fill it and then re-drill

4. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give those suggestions a try.

Scott :bassist:

5. Perfect reason to get a new bass ;)

6. Indeed it is. But I think I'll just stick with my crappy one for now. :bassist:

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That happen to my guitar. I tooth picked it work, didn't last. Glued worked, didn't last. So now I Toothpicked it and glued it :D

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Save up enough money for a New axe, then Bash that one around inta stuff... Hitting things with stuff is sweet.

9. Welsh Rocker

Welsh Rocker

May 27, 2004
    Wales
    I've had the same problem! Ive tried screwing it back in :crying: doesnt work
    I've tried stuffing it with matches many times :crying: it expandes the hole) doesnt work
    I've even tried wood filler 2wice
    It does work for a little while :meh:
    But do you want to know the answer?
    To what keeps my bass strap on (because my bass isnt that valuebal)
    Just screw the thing back in away from the origonal whole.
    Yes it does mean a a little hole in your bass
    But also Yes it wont anoy you again for a very long time and it still isnt for me :hyper:

Hope thats helped

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Hey this guys onta something!

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No, I wrote the rant how Teenagers dont listen to direction, and How when given Direction, they do the opposite just for fun and when that happens at my work, Lives could end.

12. Since I'm the Sheriff in these parts you can address ME as Lord... :eyebrow:

Knock off the attitude - both of you. You wanna discuss the fix of this bass? Then discuss. You wanna start something between each other? Then leave here and take it to PM.

Because I'm in a "good" mood :mad: I'll just edit the little diatribe and we can get back to the program.

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I honestly didnt think that'd be pushing it Hambone.

O well, I am just having some fun today 'cuz Im in a good mood!

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    This is why when I add straplocks I put a little supperglue on the scew threads.

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yeah, i say get some Dunlop straplocks and countersink those bad boys. if i remember right, they come with longer screws too.

16. Ductape it :D I can fix everything with that stuff :D :D

17. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Happens to most all my basses, i just screw it back in with a bigger screw, so that its not loose in there..

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Infact i was Re-stringing my 5 string today, and the nut just came out.. i looked at the bottom of it (plastic nut) and could see 2 glue marks on either side of it.. so i just glued it back on.. bloody cheap basses... i want a warwick thumb now!!! god please!!!

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    yes

20. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    What I do is take the original screw to the hardware store and buy some that are about an inch longer.

I put some carpenters glue on a piece of appropriately wide dowel, jam it in the hole and break if of so it's a bit under the surface of the wood. Wipe off the excess glue and wait a few hours for it to dry. Install the strap button using the longer screw. Drill a pilot hole if you want.

The reason for the longer screw is so it bites into new wood beyond the old dowel filled hole.