1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass is tuned AHEF

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by VinKreepo, May 10, 2010.

1. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    So a dude on YouTube had a comment left that he played the song in a particular video wrong (names and subject left out to protect his dignity).

Commentator: thanks but u see u are playing the second part of ***********, just listen to it, u are playing the second part where it goes higher, the first part goes
    0-3-55-57-88-8(10)-77-53-35. but anyway u still did a great cover! thanks for the help!

Video poster: heh ther's no 1 , 11, 34 ,55, or anything like that, learn notes not tabs, if u said to me 13 on 3rd string i don't know what's that but if u said fis2 than i know, btw my guitar was tuned AEHF, not like standard GDAE, because song needed that...

Sooo... where is H on my fretboard? And aren't violins tuned GDAE with basses tuned EADG? Lol even if it was a typo I about died laughing. #1 rule of correcting critiques... don't say something stupid

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    H is a note? Hmm.. learn something new everyday.

3. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    H can also mean Bflat.

Bach wrote songs with his name as the chord progression..

random fact that doesn't matter...

4. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    H is a note, Miley Cyrus sings it all the time.

5. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Awesome random fact!

I was thinking maybe it was g## :eek:, but I like this fact better

6. putsia

putsia

Mar 18, 2009
    B is called H in most parts of Europe at least. Hilarious nonetheless.

7. This sounds like something my young students sometimes say, even after I have explained the musical alphabet a hundred times:

Me--"And what note comes after G# ?"

Student (with a gleeful expression)--"H !!!"

8. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    Isn't it GDAE?

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Close - H is B and B is Bb.

In Poland, we use German standards (with H and B) for classical and folk music, but American (with B and Bb) for American or English originated styles like jazz. With pop music it could be either way...

10. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    No, usually tuning is referred to using the lowest note first. So E string...A...D...G. This is tuning in fourths since they are a fourth apart. The other stringed instruments (besides guitar) are tuned in fifths so lowest is G then D A E (cello is CGDA). Tuning in fifths gives a great range, but it requires more hand movement up and down the fingerboard.

The tab for A major on bass with the least hand sliding would look like:
    G ----------------- |
    D -----------4-6-7- |
    A -----4-5-7------- |
    E -5-7--------------|

On violin, it looks like:
    E------------------ |
    A------------------ |
    D-------0-2-4-6-7- |
    G-2-4-6----------- |

That would suck on the upright bass (specially in jazz), so tuning in fourths was adopted and most bassists still use the EADG tuning today. However, you may have noticed metal players tend to stick to two strings and move up and down the fretboard, so some metal players use a 4 string tuned like a cello just an octave lower (CDGA) so they almost have the low B of a 5 string and still manage to go higher than the G of an EADG tuned bass.

11. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Nope..H is B. You Yankees should study some European literature :)

12. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    :rolleyes:

13. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    speaking from expierence tuning a bass GDAE will strip out your tuning keys.

14. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    "Gdae" is Australian for "hello".

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

15. Whilst studying classical upright, my teacher told me that German classical/baroque signatures were different to what they are nowadays and there was a key oh H
    however, the guy on youtube was probably just an r tard

16. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    Yup. It always bugged me when I started out. Because I'm self taught I've never called it H, so in the beginning when someone would give me the chords for a song (let's say G B C) I'd play it wrong, because they meant G Bb C. :p

A B H C D E F G, where's the logic? :help:

17. yep its the note after g# but before A ;)

18. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    By some reason we learn to call it H in Norway, even though B is the correct name (the alphabet goes A-B-C-D-E-F-G, not A-H-C...). Somehow I call it H when I play saxophone, and B when I'm playing bass or guitar. But, at least it's the one and only time we use a stupid way of dealing with these kind of things, compared to all these clumsy things like feet, inches, Fahrenheit, and the biggest fail in history - NTFS (which somebody insisted on NOT getting rid of even after entering the digital world. Jeez, it's a pain to work with).

19. Handreas

Handreas

Nov 16, 2007
    Norway
    That would actually make a lot more sense...:D

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You can buy strings for those kinds of tunings, you know...