Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 'basstasters' for Jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David Wilson, Jun 18, 2005.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so I've finally done something I've been meaning to finish for a while.

One of the problems with pickup samples is that they're often recorded in different basses with different signal chains, different strings, playing styles etc....

I thought it would be a good idea to have, ala Basstasters, samples of different pickups in the same bass, with the same strings, played by the same person and going through the same signal chain.

Last year, I recorded samples of the following pickups:
    Villex
    Dimarzio J
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz
    EMG JV
    Nord 4JSE
    Aero single coil
    Sadowsky hum cancelling
    Bartolini 9J
    Bartolini 9 Classic Bass
    SD Antiquity II single coil

All were recorded in a passive Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, strung with DR HiBeam roundwounds. The signal chain was bass to Korg PXR4 recorder. The playing style is uniform, in that it's consistently bad ;) My home recording skills aren't great, so the signal to noise ratios can vary from sample to sample.

I've uploaded these to http://pickups.dmw.ftml.net

Now, the yahoo briefcase service doesn't appear to work 100% of the time. But that's outside of my control, so if you can't get the link to work there's nothing I can do about it - try again later. If someone has an alternate hosting site they feel like providing, I'll happily upload there.

I don't have the bass anymore, so I can't record any other comparitive samples, but I thought it'd be a handy resource

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Awesome! A pre-emptive thanks for doing this. I love these kinds of shootouts (and I usually end up learning a thing or two in the process.)

(But indeed, it's not working for me right now and I shall indeed try again later.)

3. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I was having some issues earlier but it seems ok now

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Still not working for me.

:bawl:

Maybe you can email me the Nords and the Barts directly?

I'll PM my email.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, can't do. email provider won't let that through. Unless someone has some hosting, I'm beholden to yahoo briefcase

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Just a few random impressions:

I definitely like the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz better than the other DiMarzio Jazz. The latter seems to have a quackier, more nasal tone.

The EMGs sound a tad muffled to my ears.

I like the Bartolinis probably best of all (not too surprising since I have 9J's in my fretless Carvin kit bass.)

The Sadowsky and Seymour Duncans both sound really great too. Good, overall balanced tone.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Kurt, cool. Good to know someone got them ;)
    Maybe yahoo briefcase has some bandwidth limiting in it, so only so much can be downloaded per hour?
    As a backup, I created a gmail account and sent the files to that account.
    They'll appear in the inbox for downloading.
    The login is jazzpups, password is talkbass.
    Since this is a shared email account, play nice. Don't use it to send abusive email, or delete ANYTHING from the inbox.

8. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    thank you.. so .. much

9. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    oh, and just a question, did you buy 10 pickups? how did you get them all? Also, which of these was your favourite?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I bought 'em all. Some new, some used.
    As to my favorite, I can only say that I had favorites for *this bass*. As the same pickups will sound somewhat different in different basses, what I liked in the GL jazz might not be perfectly suited for another bass.

That being said, the Sadowsky were my favorite hum cancelling in this bass. The Aeros were my favorite single coils in this bass.

11. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Thank you, man, great resource!! My favourites are Sadowsky HC and SD Antiquity.

That's strange... this sample sounds very different from DM J as I know them from my J bass. I know, each instrument is different, but I believe that these pups don't have this sonic signature. Maybe it is wiring thing, I don't know. More true reproduction of these pups is on http://www.subsonicfamily.com/bass/ page.

Anyway David, BIG thanks to you. Very helpful, saved lot of efforts and money probably too..!!

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    DiMarzio Jazz? Was this the Model J, or another DiMarzio J pickup I'm not aware of?

13. Gonna check this out when I get home. Sweet!! :bassist:

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Excellent stuff David!

I added this thread to the Pickups FAQ.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, the wiring was fine. The GL Jazz is naturally a little low end shy, so I think that's the bass characteristics coming through in that recording

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's Model J, and Ultra Jazz

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    David,

just now saw this thread. Pretty cool. I didn't have any luck but I'll try periodically till I do. Looking forward to checking out the tones.

TB hasn't gone through the bandwidth change yet but Paul said he'd email me when it comes to pass - apparently getting close. Maybe those clips would be a good link to reference in the bass tone glossary.

18. No access.

If you want to get them to me, I will host them on my reference site.

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    even on the gmail account? If you look up you'll see I put them up on a public gmail account also. If you want to grab them from there and host them, feel free!

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I forgot to upload the Aeros to the google account, sorted it now. Also, forgot to mention that SD hot stacks on there also