1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Big Brother....(Bass Stack Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ...wants a full-blown bass stack. You know....head, either two 4 X 10's or one 4 X 10 and a 1 X 15. Of course, it has to be decent sounding but visual impact is of the utmost importance. Used? No way! He wants something new and shiney, right out of the box. Here's the kicker...he'd like to keep the cost <$1300 which really limits the choices (Carvin, Hartke, etc.?).

Now, let me 'splain my big brother (whom I love more than life itself): He's retired, a widower, and turns 60 in a couple of months. As far as I'm concerned, he can have any **** thing he wants and there's no way I can talk him out of it. So be it. If you can offer any product suggestions, please chime in. I did find a Carvin stack meeting his description save for the 18" neo enclosure....an acceptable compromise IMO.

As always, thanks for the assistance. Not that this helps but we live in eastern Virginia so the metro DC and Richmond areas are well within driving distance.

Riis

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    to me, that's kind of a strange set of requirements. within that budget, i think that you're on the right track with thinking a Carvin or Hartke, but, since looks seem to be important to him, wouldn't it be more impressive if he was standing in front of something like this? (and IMO, it would sound better too ;)) :

v4b-stack-1.

3. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    In that price range I'd consider an avatar 4x10 and 2x12 (or 2 4x10's) and a hartke or similar head

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    His budget, not mine. The Ampeg stack would be an excellent choice as its all sparkly and stuff.

Ix-nay on the Avatar. He'd like the components to match. Still, an excellent option and I appreciate the suggestion.

Riis

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hm...I say, help him out with the budget and get a full Reeves stack!!! :)

6. How about THIS and THIS? $1180.00 shipped.

7. Posting that picture is an obvious misuse of TB GAS induction rules.

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Haha! Yes, Reeves gear is absolutely fantastic. If I was forced to choose gear I didn't already use (and took me much investment to acquire), it would be this without a doubt.

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nice! Still think he wants two separate cabs, though. He's gonna have to go solo when loading at home and that 8 X 10....well, let's just say we're not young men anymore!

Reeves.....is that like Rogue?!?

Riis

10. Depends on his situation really. But an 810 is generally a lot more forgiving when it comes to moving it about. Tilt and roll. Heck, even if you put casters on a 410 they are more of a pest to move because you need to bend over to push them.

Also, not mentioned yet I dont think, but he could get a Peavey setup.

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Peavey...good choice! I've had good results with their gear and the stuff is solid....we can bury him with it.

I know my brother and when he has his sights set on a particular item, it pretty much a done deal. There's just something about a fully-stacked rig that he finds fascinating.

Riis

12. You could probably put together a nice G-K stack for close to the budget.

13. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Would you please specify which components? I'm only familar with the 2001 RBP preamp.

Edit: I'm compiling pics , specs, and prices. Jan's gonna get a long-assed e-mail in a couple of days!

Thanks

Riis

14. Also check out the Marshall MB range.

15. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  16. I think this looks good too. 100_6101.

Eye candy - great sounds and a great price.

Acoustic B-450 Combo & B-115 cab.

17. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    No. No it's not. A thousand times no. :D

http://www.reevesamps.com/

Check em out. You just can't find amps built with better components and workmanship. Similar or even equal, yes but very very few. But better, no.

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If he is willing to wait, I'd go with an LDS custom job. Many finish options and colors from retro to outlandish with great quality. If you tell Don the budget I'm sure he can satisfy BUT it'll be a wait.