1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My chrome Flats wont stay in tune

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rickenjosh, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hey, about 3 months ago I put Flats on my Rick, and from day one they have sounded awesome, best decision I have ever made, But more recently they have begun to go out of tune really fast. Most people use the same flats on the bass for years, If they were Rounds I would have changed them by now. I love the sound (they keep getting better and better) but I really can't be fighting to keep them in tune during gigs.

How do you guys who play the same set for a long time, put up with this issue?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Can't really help since my flats stay in tune for weeks (sometimes months) in a hard shell case. But I am interested to hear what others think might be the problem.

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    That's kinda odd. My Chromes on my Hofner will move with the weather. They've been on for 3 years. See if they're slipping on your tuner pegs. Tightened the screw on your pegs.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Tuning machines do break....

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have they been stretched out well? Strings should actually stay in tune better as they get older since they get more settled on the post. But occasionally it's not a bad idea to give it a booster stretch. Some people say you shouldn't stretch them out...I say bunk...if it can't take stretching, how can you expect it to take playing?

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I suspect another cause. A few questions to analyze what's going on:

1) Do all strings get out of tune?
    2) If they are out of tune are they all flat or sharp at the same time?
    3) Did you check other parameters, like intonation, action and neck relief as well?
    4) If so, what were yor findings?
    5) Were there sudden changes in weather conditions regarding relative humidity?

7. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    +1 And always press down newly installed strings firmly over the nut and saddles, so they will be completely staightened between those reference points.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 If you are messing with intonation it is also important to do this.

9. Its usually The E & A strings but I figured it was because the get more "action" in a night. The strings go flat after about two or three songs, not majorly but enough to bother my ear. I keep my bass properly set up and have checked it a few times since this has been happing.
    I find it weird because as other having been saying, they were staying in tune very well for a few months and now they seem to be failing

10. Is the bridge lifting? :bag:

11. I dont think so, the bass is at our rehearsal space currently so I cant rule that out. But it been pretty good with tail lift so far.

To me it feels like what I use to run into with rounds, after a few weeks the would wear out and not hold tune.

12. I hope that's not the case.

With the last set of chromes I put on, I pulled the heck out of them until they stayed in tune. they seem to last a good while, and don't get wear marks as quick as rounds do.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am a long time Chromes user and they are on all but one of my 9 basses. I never have tuning issues. I can go get a bass that was banging around in my gig bags and most times it is still in tune. Some sets are 5+ years old and once the stage warms up my bass and we play a song or two they might need a tuning tweak but that is it for the night.
    This is just one thing I love about these strings. I would check to see if they are slipping at the posts.

14. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I still think the tuners are slipping. Restring it and stretch them and check on the tuners while you have the strings off. Won't hurt, I had a tuning peg that slipped was just worn out. Replaced it and no problems.

15. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I know that RICs have pretty thin necks and can easily bow if your string tension is too high, and most flats have pretty high string tension. You probably need to adjust your neck and bridge now that they've been on for a while. Bad intonation can make it really difficult to keep in tune. Make sure you can tune your strings both open and at the 12th fret. If sharp or flat at the 12th fret, adjust your bridge saddles accordingly.

16. Thanks everybody, I stretched the strings out and made sure everything was kosher at practice today. They seemed to hold a decent tune, If the tuners were slipping however, how could I tell?

17. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    It will continue to act up, the way it was.

18. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Than they will most certainly keep slipping.

Maybe it was due to stretching and installation. Strings, flats specifically, have to be pushed down firmly over the nut and the saddles to give them the right angle to prevent them from taking shape over time.

If it returns or persists, you'll be the first to notice. Then we have something for further investigation.