My dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, May 16, 2005.

1. Okay, this summer, I want to get a new bass. I 100% it's going to be a fender japanes bass. I just don't know whether to get a jazz or a precision. I plan on modding the bass.

If I get the P-Bass, I'm adding Seymore Duncan 1/4 pounders and a badass 2 bridge.

If I get the jazz, I'm adding DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups and a badass two bridge.

Everytime I listen to Maiden, I always dig and gas for that P-Bass tone. But everytime I look at the Jazz basses, I dig the look. Whichever bass I get, will be my main axe for a long time. I love to play rock, like Yes, Iron Maiden, and Rush. Yet, I also am a huge fan of jazz.... I just dont know!! :rollno:

The P-Bass will be cheaper than the jazz.... but I dont know. Any advice would be awsome :crying:
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    This was a tough one for me as well when It came time to buy a Fender. Which one is more comfortable, what kind of music do you like to play and what kind of sound do you like to dial in. I think that the Jazz is the more versatile of the two, if you like slap tones the jazz is more suited. You can get more sounds out of a J bass.That is not to say that you cannot slap on a p, it just harder to dial in a good slap tone. On the other hand if you want a bass with a meaty midrage tone that is nice and simple then maybe the p is for you. As for me, I went with the P bass, I like the ballsy midrangy tone that it gets and I dont use it much for slap, even though I can dial it in. :p ( (I have the American P bass deluxe) hope this helps.
  4. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    The Jazz bass gives you more room to play around with, because it lets you go higher, but not as well lower. Now I feel in love with my P bass because it was a Natural color with a white pickguard. Now the Jazz basses in my opinion lack good color options, unless you are going all out in a sig. model. But over all I would say to go with the Jazz bass on this, great for slapping.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why are you so sure you're going to modify it? A MIJ Fender is a quality instrument. Have you played this one in particular yet?
  6. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I have a MIJ Jazz with a badass II, and two Seymour Duncans in it (1/4 pounder bridge, hot jazz neck). I'm willing to sell it. It's about 10 years old, sunburst, maple neck, and in good condition. Comes with hard case. PM me if you're interested.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is sweet. I don't know why Fender USA doesn't offer some of the cool colors and woods that Ishibashi does.

The grammar on that site always gives me a laugh. Like a poster child for a bad stereotype.

Both unique models of the body and the problem like WAL(Walnut) color, black hardware, and the mat black pick guard, etc.The body material adopts the ash. Please enjoy the sound that standing up is good with the punch.
  8. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Heh heh heh: 'Please advance to the order screen clicking "Put it in the wagon" when you buy it.'

And one more thing when you buy it; you will be at the mercy of the exchange rate when your credit card is debited. The rate fluctuates on a daily basis, and the price today will not be the same as two months from today.
  9. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    ok... so im sitting here reading this post and listening to Jaco play and im gassing for a jazz... in 3 tone sunburst... you have helped me find it, and i thank you.

PS sorry to jack the thread