Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My endpin installation trick

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by godoze, Aug 27, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I put a new endpin in this little 5/8's bass I have. Problem is that you guessed it, the ebony was too big in diameter to fit the socket.

After hand sanding for an hour i had an idea.

I fashioned a jig from a piece of 5/16" hss steel then added a stop at the end and an adjustable collar that will adjust to fit a variety of endpins.

Put the endpinsocket on the jig, put the jig in the drill. Turn on the drill and apply sandpaper.

Worked like a charm and the endpin was ready to go in 15 minutes with a perfect fit.

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Very interesting. You got a pic, maybe? I'm having trouble visualizing...

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Interesting indeed. My concern is that, unless VERY carefully done, this method could throw off the taper...

4. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    My thoughts too. Anything involving a handheld electric drill is a bit dicey that way. But I'd like to see!

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well see here is the neat part. i made a casting of the tapered hole in the block and then reversed it and made a hollow cast that is lined with 3m stikits.

i guess i should have added that in the first post.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    A picture please!!! :hyper: You know, for the benefit of bass kind and such. :D

7. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Hmmmmmm -- if a guy mounted the pin into a drill press and set up the press for low speed...

Course, if your time has got $$$ attached to it and you're gonna do all kinds of end pins, you'd be better off biting the bullet and buying the reamer.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than Harry Wake's re-shaped spade bit, though. And, of course, it doesn't help you make the tapered hole in the tail block in the first place...

Very cool, Z...

8. Why not use an endpin reamer?????? (you'd have saved yourself 13½ minutes)

:rolleyes:

- Wil

9. This sounds pretty damn cool to me.....As you must know Wil, reamers cost alot of $.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    $342 for endpin reamer...