1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first build...Bubinga Singlecut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hey guys, very long story about this and I'm sorry that its taken me...oh the last 2 years to build this (might as well start calling me bebensee already) but anyways here it is, almost completed and I cant wait to finish her. Electronics worked the first time I plugged into so here is my to do list:

truss-rod cover
    electronics cover
    final sanding
    clean up a few routes
    finish

So I'm basically there...I'm just on the last stretch.

Here are the lastest pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking

Greg

2. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Beautiful neck! I love the different shades of wood all over the bass. Looking good!

3. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    holy cow that is gorgeous! what type of pickup are you using? the grain on the ebony looks totally sweet, as well as the flame in the maple contrasting with the other wood in the back of the neck. i dig the purpleheart too if thats actually what the reddish wood is called.

4. Nice work!! Where did you get that flame maple?? Gorgeous stuff. Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    All of the maple is from Todd Levy, great stuff and an even more amazing guy. all his stuff is top notch. I'm glad you guys like it, but you should after over 2 years if work, haha.

The pickup, or rather pickups, are bartolini g6's. I kinda wish I had gone with the fatter pickups but these are great too.

The woods are ebony, bubinga, maple and purpleheart so this thing weighs a ton but it rings for days

Thanks again guys

Greg

6. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    That's really nice man. You may think 2 years is a long time coming, but good things come to those who wait. I don't know if I have the patience to do a 2 year build.

7. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    Pretty cool! somethings i noticed though, it appears that the bridge hangs off of the body a little. also, the headstock looks like it has a few sharp edges that would look better rounded off. I agrees about the sweet neck lams, but i have something against basses with neck lams that end before the nut. Is the maple fb accent part of the neck or fb (was it glued to the neck, then channeled for truss rods, or was it layer on top of the truss rod channels? love the woould combo. How thick is the body, and did you chamber it?

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    All of the neck lams continue to the very end, you just cant see it in the picture. The maple lam is part of the fingerboard...so yes the neck is fairly thick but its really not that bad cause I have big hands. The body I think is right about 2" and nope its all solid, so this thing weighs close to 11 or 12 pounds

Greg

9. Great work, love the back of the neck. But....have you tried stringing it? The headstock looks very crowded. It looks like the G string peg (i'm presuming this is going to be strung B to C) is being blocked by the C string peg. Maybe its just the way the picture is.

10. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I've strung it up and you're right it is a tight fit but nothing touches so its all good. the neck is my favorite part of the bass cause the maple has such deep curl to it, it was definitely worth the money

Greg

11. hufschmid

hufschmid

Mar 29, 2009
    Switzerland
    Marketing Exec, Hufschmid Guitars
    wow that is gorgeous work

12. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    Very nice. Great job! :)

13. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    that is very beautiful, i assume the design was influenced by one that was build not too long ago on here, i cant recall who the builder was, but it turned out very nicely, and that is a gorgeous bass you have there, be proud of it.

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    You may be refering to Redeemer basses, it looks very similar. Nice work.

15. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Ha ha, redeemer got the influence from my design :p I've had my design up here for the last 2 years.

But thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words, I cant wait to actually finish this and start playing it for real

Greg

16. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    oh wow, thats really cool, that a pro builder got a design from a first timer

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    WELL!!! I stand humble and corrected sir.:smug:

18. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Well, I said that kiddingly because I do remember when he posted that design and I had had my build up for some time by then and a lot of people had seen my design, plus I've posted a lot of drawings here before. But its just funny how similar they are so I just say that I'm the influence :p

maybe redeemer will pop in here and give his view on the situation

Greg

19. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Stunning the neck... wow

20. The Insane

The Insane

Jul 12, 2007
    Germany
    Great work! How you're going to finish it?
    That's a mighty pickup, let us know how it sounds:)