1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first choke after 25 years of playing

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mcapote, Aug 23, 2012.

1. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I started with a new band, country band, first time not playing hard rock, punk, or metal. we played out last night and mind you I don't drink, smoke, nothing for about 14 years. Well my singer calls everyone outside, including the other band. pulls out a doobie and is like wanna smoke. I'm like nah I'm good. Well the other band is like come on man I fall into peer pressure and take a hit. 10 minutes later we are hitting the stage and its hitting me. I totally started playing the bass line for zac brown - chicken fried when we were playing long haired country boy. I don't think anyone noticed in the crowd because the floor was packed with chicks, but i feel like a dumb ass and i know the rest of my band knew i was playing the wrong song, I spent the whole rest of the night thinking don't f up the next song and so on. So lesson learned no more peer pressure for me. Im taking my walk of shame today.

2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Maybe you should start building up your tolerance again.

3. Next time chase the doobie with a shot of Jack and a cold beer. You'll be fine.

4. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Nothing like a good dose of humble pie to keep you honest!

That's a big genre jump... Metal to country. How are you handling the tempo change?

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This. Lol.

Seriously, glad no one in the crowd noticed.

Substances can be tricky. Know your limits and NEVER step over them.

6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I play with a Christian Smooth Jazz Artist. The rules are no smoking, no drinking, no cursing. So I have to do it all in the parking lot before the show :) And to add I'm talking Cigarettes, I don't do the other stuff. So for me it's a cig, vodka, and a mint with a few choice words and then I'm good to go. Chalk it up to experience and you'll be fine. It's worth a good laugh. You'll have stories to tell your grand children when they're old enough to understand.

7. I found out early on that smokin at a gig just gave me ten thumbs, and a vacancy sign for a brain....not ideal. :rollno:
    I keep it casual and social, ah the peer pressure.........:rolleyes:

8. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I'm an ex. Been along time for me. Bad drunk and pretty bad with the modern stuff too. It's never bothered me being around it, my stock line is when I'm offered is, "naaah, you really don't wanna see that, it ain't pretty"...and they get it.

So last night I'm out checking out this other band who's lookin for a bass player, and I get there, the basement where they rehearse is set up like what we all practiced in back in the '70s...Christmas lights all over, blacklight posters, a sound barrier for the drums, couches, washing machines withe the board and PA stuff stacked on top shag carpet remnants of the floor...the whole 9 yards. It was cool, felt like I was in a time warp.

They do originals and do lots of G Dead stuff...now I get it.

So the the gui**** is half smashed, go figure.

The drummer gets there and after a little while he says "well we gonna break out the "Knob"? And out comes a bottle of Knob Creek, and they pass it around, and around and...I decline, with my standard line.
    Little while later out of the corner of my eye I see the gui**** exhaling...and here comes the smell, which after all these years I still love (in cooked or uncooked forms), and these guys continued to get lit the rest of the night...all except the keyboard player, which was the only reason I was there.

So I'll try to steal him...after enduring gamut of all the drunken "dude you're badass" "dude you jumped on everything we threw at you" "dude you're really traditional...like a REAL bass player" " so what's you think?...we got a gig on..." stuff on the way out he came out to move his car so I could get out, and he's a little fed up with it too.

So. Did I say he has a B3 and a Rhodes?

Sometimes you gotta break some eggs.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I figured out, about 35 years ago, that weed hurt me. What I thought I was doing, in the context of what was going on around me, was seriously distorted. I thought I was playing great, but I was playing sloppy. I thought I was relating well to the folks around me, but they thought I was weird.

I quit the stuff, haven't touched it since, and won't touch it again.

10. kevingr

kevingr

Jun 25, 2010
    Northants, UK
    Ah.. Slap bass then :bag:

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    You engaged in illegal activity, and admitted to doing so. I have reported the offense to miami police. They will be at your house shortly. I hope this teaches ya!

12. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

Jul 8, 2011
    I'm the master of giving in to peer pressure, and Ms. Jane is my first love, but I've never smoked before a performance. Drink, yes, which I regretted a time or two after nailing the wrong notes... You gotta build up a tolerance or quit it altogether. In regards to burnin' it up, I took the 2nd. Drinking...well I'm still working on it.

13. Every once in a while we need a reminder as to why we walked away.

I don't share this often, but my vice was drinking. So I am in no position to judge anyone for anything they are into.

I was able to pack it away (mostly) with a lot of support and tough love from my wife.

But over the years I've fallen off the wagon a time or two and been reminded why I had to make a choice.

14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    lol good luck with that. Why not call my guitarist hes a cop :D
    anyways was a 1 time deal wont be happening again. I actually care about how i sound when i play unlike alot of the guys i see playing out around town.

15. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    My first thought was... how the hell can you gig for 25 years, even stone sober, without a choke somewhere along the line??????? You da man!

16. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well because I dont like to play a song out till i have it 100%. I have a tendency to obsess over stuff LOL

17. Exactly. NEVER during any gig ever. It was really tough to do when the reggae band I played with had gigs at "medical marijuana" festivals, and I... ahem... fell off the wagon at times. No bueno. Lots of missed changes, missed stops, etc. Fortunately, everyone in the crowd was a huge mass of baked and whirly zombies. No one noticed.

To the OP... You got to tell them at a practice or something (while everyone's sober) that you can't do that while on stage. They should understand and respect that. If not, then they're probably not serious with their music or may have self destructive tenancies. It's pretty common for a band's downfall to be alcohol or drug related... Just sayin'...

18. This, too! I choke all the time, and I always play stone cold sober. Maybe I need to practice more instead of responding to posts on an internet forum. :scowl:

19. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Learn to stick to your guns.

20. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    At least you had a reason. I have seen many "straight as an arrow" bands that were out of sync & out of tune most of the night