1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BoomingBass, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I would like recommendations for my first pedal.
    I play anything from alt rock and hard rock to nu and alt metal.
    I would really like something to emphasize melodic bass lines.
    If possible, some attack might be useful but don't mind that too much.

I've been looking at the DigiTech multi chorus and the DigiTech Synth Wah (I don't think the synth really follows my genres too well though.

:bassist: Thank in advance

2. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Analog.man chorus XD if I had to choose only one pedal ever, that one

3. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    Looks nice, but a bit pricey for me

:bassist::hyper:

4. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    how about a bass big muff or the new digitech hardwire chorus....liked it more than the older multi chorus.

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Boss ME-50B

you get a slew of bass effects in an easy to use multi, and they run for less than the cost of a Boutique pedal.

You get your hands on the sort of effects that you like or need, and if you find you've grown past it, sell it and get separates.

6. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    It seems like the newer x series bass chorus would maintain the bass sound better

7. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    This is also out of my price range

8. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Mow some lawns...?

Digitech Bp80 is a cheaper alternative, and some people like them, but The boss is a better quality unit for not a lot more.

9. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I can't really mow lawns because my community automatically has a landscaping company do it.
    I've heard about the bp series but I wasn't sure if they were quality enough.

10. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I'm not sure if this is in your price range, but I was particularly fond of the Visual Sound H20 chorus/echo. I'd actually get the Liquid Chorus, which is the chorus side of the twin-pedal H20, but slightly better. The H20 was such a good chorus, that I almost traded an EHX Stereo Clone Theory for it. Except that I got a Roland Jazz Chorus amp instead, which is the best chorus there has ever been.

There is also good argument for an MXR Phase 90. There are about fifty million clones/models/derivatives of the bloody thing, and they're the second-easiest pedal to find, after the Boss DS-1.

11. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Look at the Digitech BP200 ($149.00) it does a lot. Has a tuner, fuzz, boost and much more.:cool:

12. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I would recommend a good compressor...

13. i agree a multieffects unit would be the best option, but if your looking for a specific kind of pedal, id try chorus or dirt.

Hardwire by digitech make a sweet chorus pedal, and the bass big muff is probably the best fuzz for some one on a budget.

14. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    A preamp/DI, like a Sansamp or MXR M80 and some kind of modulation, I would recommend a phaser or chorus, as opposed to a flanger

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well, what IS your budget, then?
    Maybe a Digitech Bad Monkey.

16. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    I ordered a DigiTech chorus pedal but have around 80 dollars leftover if anyone has anymore suggestions,

And what does a compressor actualy DO anyway?

17. Mahumadi

Mahumadi Banned

Apr 19, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I was wondering the same thing. What exactly does this do? Would it typically go in the front of your chain?

18. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml

Bongo is king of all compressor knowledge.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    As a former owner of the BP200 (bought it way back when it first came out) I wouldnt recommend this processor to anyone. Its not all that bad for someone who knows nothing of effects and would like to learn them, but the signal chain isnt very good and you can't mix modulation (you can't use more than one at a time). I used it for years until I finally got around to replacing every effect I used on it with a single stompbox. I gave the BP200 to a guitarist.

I would suggest either a Fuzz if you want some dirt, or a chorus if youre looking for modulation.

20. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    The BP200 is also a little noisy and can be a bit tone sucking, from my experience.