1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my gear: a tribute in memorium.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattq, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    i had one of the most beautiful basses i've ever seen. it was a hollowbody gretsch that is apparently quite the rarity. that bass, along with my mim deluxe active jazz bass that my wife gave me as a wedding present, my traynor yba200 in road case, my swr goliath sr., and my hard case pedaltrain pt-jr with about $800 worth of pedals and accessories was stolen out of the back of my car sunday night. i read that only about 3% of stolen music gear ever gets found, so i'm in the mourning process of realizing that i'll probably never see this stuff again. so here it is, a family portrait (ok, collage) in memory of my fantastic tone. i feel blessed to have had it for the time i did.
    attachment. [​IMG]
    attachment.
    [​IMG]

and some closer-up non-action gretsch shots:
    P9250008. P9250009. P9250001.

UPDATE: well, i didn't get my stuff back but it's looking more promising that i might find the jackhole that took it. so hope is still alive and well. also, i've been broke from not playing for a while now so to kill time and not die inside i've been playing a lot at my church. when they found out that all my stuff had been stolen, donations came flooding in. i miraculously found that same model gretsch used at a gc in san fran and the donations i received more than covered the cost of it. i was also given an ampeg 410hln to play through from a friend. so things are looking hopeful and i'll soon be :bassist: on stage again. the new gretsch should be here tomorrow and i'll be sure to post pics when she gets here

Attached Files:

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Been there... had over 3k in gear stolen when my pedal board (and vintage Fender Reverb tank) were stolen from our church.

It sucks.. it sucks hard..

3. That sucks.
    I hope the universe blesses you with even nicer gear.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    sucks to hear man - karma will come for those bastards

5. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Great gear. That absolutely sucks man! Thieves deserve every bad thing that happens to them. There is nothing more frustrating than what you just went through. There are few things that I hate more than a thief. Did I mention how much I dispise thieves!

6. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Awww, man! I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you have insurance on the stuff? I take it that you didn't from the general tone of your post.

Good luck. Maybe you'll be on of the 3%.

Al

7. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Dec 28, 2005
    Matt. I feel your pain. I live down the road in Indio. My custom painted (Wilkins Guitar in Van Nuys) MIA Fender P Bass was stolen from the church I play for just last January. Insurance won't even come close to paying for the loss. I can only hope justice will find its way to the the thief.
    Mike

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, that Gretsch is perfection. What a loss.. :bawl:

9. I hope you've taken those photos and full descriptions to EVERY pawn shop and police station within 20 miles. That radically increases your chances of getting them back.

10. Maybe you'll be 1 of those 3%.Esp w/the rarity of the hollowbody.Those are far and few between.Good luck.Hopefully it'll run thru honest hands.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh man, that's awful.:( Really sorry to hear about it, I hope those ******** are caught.

+1

12. Sucks bro. *plays taps*

+1 for karma.

13. youngboy

youngboy

Feb 8, 2008
    The saddest part in your story prob is that the thief(s) don't even know what they got. They'll sell it or trade it for 10% of what it's worth.

Good luck

14. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Just because you'll probably never get things back doesn't mean you shouldn't report it to the police anyway.

15. Sorry to hear about the loss. That Gretsch should be fairly easy to spot if someone does try to sell it. Keep an eye on Ebay as well as the local pawn shops and Craigslist.

16. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Man this sucks.. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Keep your chin up though. I have a friend whos band had all the gear stolen. Ther bass player had a nice Ric in ther as well. They did exactly what the last poster said to do. Keep an eye on ebay, craigslist and pawn shops. They found the bass on craigslist locally here. They went to check it out and it was his bass. They had tried to scratch the SN # off the jack plate. They promptly informed the police and the rest of their gear was recovered. So hopefully you'll have the same luck..

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sorry to hear dude, sickening...

18. i feel for ya man.... just remember they can take your gear but they cant take your talent!

19. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Keep an eye out on CL/eBay/pawn shops. They're gonna sell that Gretsch.

20. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    police have a report along with serial numbers, descriptions, and dollar value. i've been checking every pawn shop i know of and keeping an eye out on the used gear sites. i'm hoping the jackhole that did this is either really stupid or really desperate and that my stuff turns up. it's in my advantage that the stuff sticks out like a sore thumb. here's hoping