My humbuckers aren't bucking

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kirbonite, Sep 3, 2018.

1. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    I'm a guitarist and banjo player turn bassist.
    Hi.. pretty new here but I'm currently playing a Squier Coronado bass which I enjoy but I get distinct hum through every amp in every location including the brand new amp I bought that I HAVE in my house under LED lights.

I play at a church through an old amp and had always dismissed the hum as coming from the amp. but I've gotten the hum through TC. Peavey and Fender amps in different locations and rooms. the Hum is distincty worse since I replaced my round wound strings with rotosound flatwounds.

The filtertron pickup was designed for guitars . I can even touch the pickup with my hand and make the buzz louder. I would expect this from a Single coild but not this pickup. does anyone have and ideas. I'm thinking of switching to tapewound strings on this instrument.

2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Hmm... "hum", or more of a "BUZZ"?? Can you make it go away completely by rotating the bass in a circle, until there is a quiet point? Seems to me that getting noise when you touch the pickup hints that the pickup is wired BACKWARDS.. is it only buzzing when you touch the pole pieces? Sometimes pole pieces can end up not being grounded, but on the hot side of the coil! If it's adding noise when you touch the CASE, then I would suspect that something in the wiring is leaking 'hot' to your 'pickup shield'...

3. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah.. I think so. I have another cheap bass ordered as a backup. I should be able to compare the two. I think youre' right.. but I didn't want to mess with it.. pickup height and everything is right on the money.. I bought it used. I think something is not grounded and the problem with this model is that the wiring is really hard to get to.

4. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    What is a Squier Coronado?

5. kirbonite

kirbonite

Aug 13, 2018
    Parts Unknown
    Well I was wrong.. I meant to say a Squier Cabronita and it was the amp buzzing not the guitar.. Every floor model in GC has a buzz but I ordered a new one.. No buzz

content_206261_1491981876.jpg