1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Jazz Bass has no balls. Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Nov 7, 2019.

1. I have a made in japan Fender Jazz bass 62 reissue. It is a thing of beauty and has a great neck but I don't know why but it just feels like it doesnt have any balls. It's hard to describe what I mean but basically my precision feels like Harley davidson and the jazz feels like a Yamaha bike. I hope that makes sense haha. So my question is I was offered a Fender Aerodyne to trade for this bass which would give me the balls I need BUT is there a way to get my Jazz to sound more inspiring? A set of pickups maybe?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Eric66 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I'd give series wiring a go before you trade it but the aerodyne has a P pickup and I'm partial to P's so I'd trade it. It's lighter, too, I believe. And that's my biased opinion.

3. What do you mean by series wiring?

4. My reluctance comes from the fact that it is such a well built bass. My friend has an american standard and this bass is at par in quality.

5. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Wire the pickups so that they're on together, working as one. Like a big ol' humbucker, albeit with the coils quite farther apart. Series wiring usually gives a JB more "balls" than the stock parallel wiring.

6. Hmmm. Thanks I will give that a try.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  7. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    You can use a push/pull or a mini DPDT if you try it and you like it. Also, I'd play around with pickup heights, as well. Perhaps they're too low?

8. 20191107_073818.

I think they are the appropriate height. Are jazz basses supposed to be more mellow? I like the extra mid range it gives but I just want it to be angrier haha. Like when girlfriend nags me to wash the dishes I can play her a note to scare her away.

9. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yeah, they seem ok. Assuming you're not fretting the 20th! Series does make it a bit angrier. Don't know about scaring your girlfriend angrier but I'd give it a try nonetheless, it's the easiest thing to do if you have basic soldering skills.

10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

All my Jazzes are set this way (except the Aerodyne of course). One of the volume knobs is push-pull, so I can switch between the series and paralell option. In Series, I get a P-ish sound, suitable for rockier stuff and Paralell gets me back to the Jazz sound. Wouldn't have a Jazz without that mod.

11. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You can keep riding that Yamaha whilst the Harley is in the shop.

12. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    Dude... don't go there....

Bassdirty, Glenn Mac, Tvrtko and 10 others like this.
  13. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Different PUs might help. If you're lucky enough to find a set of Fender Pure Vintage '64 PUs, get those!

14. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Maybe you're just not a jazz bass guy, I'm not either. Maybe try some hot pickups or split humbuckers?

15. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Typically Jazz Basses are sort of scooped sounding, all the ones I’ve ever played sounded pretty good.
    Get it checked out, it’s hard to tell without hearing it.

16. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Im not but my one J hits like a burping gorilla. It only got better after I added the stacked controls. It has Seymour Duncan SJB 1’s
    KU8RTdu.

17. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
  18. The stacked controls would make my jazz more accurate to a real 62. How would that change the sound I'm wondering?

fretno likes this.
  19. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I thought I was no jazz bass guy until I got the Flea J. That one is a J-Bass for P-Bass fans. I know it's always a combination of several factors that make the tone, but I feel the Pure Vintage '64 PUs contribute quite a bit to it.

20. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

...And with the exception of the name plate and "historical expectations" is every bit as badass as the Harley.

Said as a guy who grew up in a house with both brands, several Hondas and 2 Kawasakis.

Heavy Blue, Glenn Mac, murphy and 5 others like this.