1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Jazz Bass has no balls. Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Nov 7, 2019.

1. It was set up by a luthier by the way who is a jazz bass enthusiast so I highly doubt set up is the issue.

2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    OK, maybe you should run your complaint by them and see what they say... You are aware that setup can change with the season, right?

3. I'm not aware of much when it comes to that stuff. Not sure why I didn't think of asking him first haha but I'm gotten some great feed back here

4. Ekulati

Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Problem/flaw with many answers: some interpret OPs need as more "grind" ("angrier") while others have interpreted the need as more "heft," which I associate with more low end.

All subjective. OP can you clarify? You want more lows or more grind?

5. More grind

6. Does it have the grind you're after when you play it without an amp?

7. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    SoCal
    146-4671_IMG.JPG

Hah, Hah! You'd be surprised.

I've done 800-Mile days on it, bathroom breaks, and gas-stops, being my only reasons to pull over. See, the shape of the tank allows me to lean my stomach on it, completely taking the weight off of my wrists.

I've been shocking Road King, and Goldwing riders, out on the open road, for years.

The pic above was me leaving for L.A., after visiting one of my buddies, and his wife, in San Jose.

8. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    Maybe change the pickups. You may just be more of a P bass guy, I've never been too into Jazz basses myself. I like Stingrays for a scooped sound much more.

Having said that, I just got a Thumb 5, and it has a bit of that Jazz bridge pickup flavour to it.

9. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Color me surprised, then - lol... I'd guess you're the exception rather than the rule, though...

10. He's complaining about a lack of balls..... ;):D

johndb likes this.
  11. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    Mmmmm!!! I can almost smell the oil. I had a sweet RZ350 back in the day. Ring-Ding!

David Jayne, murphy and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  12. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    Nice Super Sport!

13. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Some good suggestions here. I like the SGFX Beta pedal to add some low mid heft and punch to my Jazz bass, even with the gain turned down low.

14. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    BassmanM likes this.
  15. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    That is darn near reason enough to keep that bass!

I have a lot of basses and guitars, most needed neck work but the Japan stuff needed the least neck work of any....BUT that does not mean it will sound great LOL! If you have tried raising the pickups a bit and the strings are new then a set of decent vintage style pickups are where i would start...although i love the punchy ceramics in my 04 MIM J bass i think this bass is very resonant.

Any Dimarzio or Duncan vintage J bass pickups should be more than fine if you dont want to spend big $.

16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Maybe this is to obvious........did you check to see if it was a female jazz bass ? that would explain the lack of ....uh hum........you know.

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had that bass and the pickups and electronics were the weak link

18. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    noooooooo

19. I typically like the sound and feel of old strings better then new.

murphy likes this.
  20. GroovinUSA

GroovinUSA

Oct 3, 2019
    Not all strings age the same, and sometimes strings just lose their character if they get too much gunk in them from playing. It's worth trying a new set before you do anything more extreme like buying new pickups, preamp, or selling the bass.