1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My "new" 1982 Yamaha BB1200S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bcgd, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    Look what arrived yesterday! My "new" 1982 Yamaha BB1200S. I have been pining for one for a while and I can't believe I finally have one let alone in the color I wanted too. It's battle worn with a few nicks and dings but that's all overshadowed by the sound it makes. I've never played a thru-neck bass before. THE TONE! I CAN'T BELIEVE THE TONE!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    They are great aren't they! A P-Bass on steroids. One suggestion..Even if you're a die-hard rounds guy do consider at least trying D'Addario Chromes on it. With the preamp engaged, you can make it sound as bright as new roundwounds but with no string squeak. I didn't believe it either...until I tried it. I'm hooked.....

Another TB'er gave me some great advice for the preamp settings when I got mine: "Bass-all the way up, Mids-neutral, treble-all the way up. Depending on how your rig sounds, you can tweak them slightly. Sometimes I back off from those default positions just a tiny bit-- lows if the bottom is overwhelming, highs if it sounds too harsh, and mids to get a slightly more glass-like tone. For a more vintagey tone I'll back off the highs to neutral, and turn the mids all the way up. For true vintage tone, you can just flick the toggle to turn it off, and then there's just a single tone knob for passive mode. It's a really marvelous pre-amp, very well-voiced."

I've got a pdf of the service/parts manual for it. Shoot me your email address in a PM and I'll send one to you if you want.

LK Harwood likes this.
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Congrats! I have several really great basses, but my 1986 Yamaha BB5000 is the one closest to my heart. Just an amazing instrument, finely made and still sounds amazing to this day.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sweet bass congrats.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I had the same thing in green, loved everything about it except for the color. The red is beautiful!

6. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Nice Bass! I Love my 1983 BB3000s it's ajust such a marvelous bass. Congrats that BB1200s is killer!

7. fmachia

fmachia

Nov 19, 2012
    Argentina
    Suh-weeeet!!

8. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    Thanks, guys! Kenstee, I'll send you a PM right now.

9. Radical! Those old BBs are awesome. So awesome that I have two! Not a 1200 though.... Have fun with it!

10. hellboy

hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    I have two as well, both red 1984 1200S's. Congratulations on an awesome bass! If it's battle-worn that just means it was played and appreciated. These are hugely underrated in my opinion, and yours looks like an excellent specimen. Enjoy!

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Man I really love this bass

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I recall that they had great necks with less than perfect frets

13. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    I'm really not versed in frets. What do you mean?

14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    not dressed well when they left the factory. A lot of leveling work needed to be done right out of the box on the one I owned

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass!

16. Congrats on that killer red bass. That has such a great vintage look to it. I hope to happen upon one of like this at a can't pass up price. Enjoy !!!:)

17. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Love it! Very good condition. Looks like the original PUPS are still there.
    I have same --- but came with EMG PUPS --- works great, they're real hot. I am looking for way to get the original PUPS in there. The tone --- especially with Ernie Ball steel roundwounds @ Hooky gauges is so awesome. Very bright --- pops an sparkles!

18. Bass Boy 1200S

Bass Boy 1200S

Jul 6, 2017
    Hi Kenstee,

19. Bass Boy 1200S

Bass Boy 1200S

Jul 6, 2017
    Hi Kenstee,
    Surfing around for info on BB1200S preamp LC87452 I came across this thread and saw that you have it's service manual. I immediately subscribed to TB to ask you if you can help me out.
    My BB1200S came with EMG pickups and preamp. Former owner did send me the original BB1200S preamp, but no original pickups. I'm gonna replace the EMG's with alnico's and restore the original preamp. My BB2000S appeared to have the same LC87452 Yamaha preamp. It's missing some caps, a resistor and one of the C2240 BL transistors, so it's not working.
    The BB1200S has a 3 band EQ, and the BB2000S has a 2 band EQ. But when I tried the BB1200S preamp on the BB2000S bass it worked perfect.

I hope you help me out with the service manual for the repair of the incomplete/defect preamp?
    Curious about the D'Addario Chromes, I'll give them a shot.
    Thanks anyway.

20. Bass Boy 1200S

Bass Boy 1200S

Jul 6, 2017
    Hi Kenstee,

I'm looking for help:

My BB1200S came with EMG pickups and preamp. Former owner did send me the original BB1200S preamp, but no original pickups. I'm gonna replace the EMG's with vintage style alnico's and restore the original preamp.
    I also have a BB2000S which appeared to have the same LC87452 Yamaha preamp. It's missing some caps, resistors and one of the C2240 BL transistors, so it's not working.
    The BB1200S has a 3 band EQ, and the BB2000S has a 2 band EQ. But when I tried the BB1200S preamp on the BB2000S bass it worked perfect.
    I'm trying to repair the incomplete preamp, I hope you can help me out with a schematic, or one of the service manuals for either BB2000S or BB1200S [LC87452 Yamaha BB1200S/BB2000S preamp]
    Thanks, anyway.

Attached Files: