1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Calin Wulter!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jlilley, Oct 3, 2010.

1. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I just brought home a lovely Calin Wulter Carcassi and according to Talkbass tradition, here is the thread to introduce her to everyone.
    I spent a couple of days at Hammond Ashley and on both visits this was the bass that spoke to me. She is a flatback, built in 2008. With the help of Troy Kendrick, I played pretty much every bass they had in stock and this bass had the perfect combination of price, volume and tone.
    I'd love to hear from any Wulter owners, regarding how their basses have developed over time.
    I can post some better pictures later, but the batteries in my camera were dead so I had to make due with my phone.

Thanks,
    John

Attached Files:

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I played a couple of different examples of this model as my primary performance bass for a couple of years in the early part the last decade. The wide middle bout allows the whole top to really move in the lower part of the range. The 42" string length is also perfect for me. These are nice workhorse instruments and yours should give you many years of enjoyment. Congratulations.

3. I have a Carcassi model made in 2003 that I bought from a private seller almost 2 years ago. It was hardly played and still sounded brand new. It has really opened in the time I've had it and is sounding better every day. Congratulations on your new instrument.

I have had a few cracks open while in my possession, but they were easily fixed and now it's good as new. I've had no problems since my luthier looked at it. Just baby it and keep an eye on the humidity and it will stay in good health.

-Cory

4. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    ...Glad to hear that you & Troy are still in touch....i always remember Memorial Day in Seattle...2009.....and glad to hear
    about a positive step on the "Bass Front"....way to go!

-A

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I bought a new "Corsini" carved roundback this summer from my friendly neighborhood luthier and TB'er vejesse. I can't put it down. It's really a much better bass than I deserve as a weekend warrior and living room player, but what the heck, life is short.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey John, congratulations - I'm looking forward to hearing it! ;)

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It shakes the windows, yet sounds lovely up the G string. Love the neck and it was a joy to play. Good going, John.

Interesting the comment on the wide waist allowing the table to move. There was a German bass in the same price range that we all agreed was much sexier. Narrow at the C-bouts like a model, but curvy and beautiful wood grain and varnish. But, it didn't sound anywhere close to as good as the one John bought. Didn't think about the wideness being a sound asset, but I'll buy it.

Great bass, John. I'll look forward to hearing you play it with Todos Es.

8. jpfbass

jpfbass

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Cool! My current bass is a Wulther. It sounds great for a laminate, has like the perfect pizz. tone. I've had mine for only like two years, but one problem that's pretty consistent is that there was/is quite a few wolf tones. They went away, but not completely. Right now I have a big one on the high a on the a string. It's not too annoying, and definitely not a reason for not buying one, but just a warning I guess. Other then that, there hasn't been too many problems.
    Congrats and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

9. She Is A Real Beauty John :D !

Leticia or Natasha .... Either one .... Would be a good name.

Play Her ..... In Good Health ....

And Thanks for selling-me your old 1949 American Standard Bass .....

Right Now ..... I suspect we are both At Peace with The Universe :p !!

10. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Bob,
    I'm really happy that Rene is going to a good home! I really think she will be a good fit for you.
    I'm going to play the new one for a little while before I name her...

John

11. You almost certainly would have encountered my old Wultur (a Panormo flatback) at Hammond-Ashley. Last time I was by, they had some funny strings on it, though. I liked the Wulturs a lot - I felt like they had a really great presence. Mine had had Obligatos on it, which I didn't care for, but with Helicores it played very nicely.

Congrats on the bass!

12. theweed42

theweed42

May 1, 2008
    Haha that's amazing. My old Panormo is there too. Although it's probably still in the shop... We could start a club of former Wultur owners.

I'd still be an owner if the lack of humidity here didn't kill the poor thing. I had to trade it in for a German roundback, and I'm hoping it holds up better. Those Wulturs are a bit touchy - make sure you don't ever let it get thirsty.

13. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    I have a Romanian Carcassi reworked by Martin Sheridan for about a year and the thing kicks a$$, don' have the humidity issue as I live in Louisiana but the tone is sweet and is getting better and better. Arco and jazz pizz response is fantastic. Have played in sections with 40k basses and it holds its own.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021