1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new EUB and Cello Tuning

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by vfbass, Dec 1, 2006.

1. vfbass

vfbass

Nov 26, 2006
    Illinois
    Hello everybody

I just completed my first EUB project. Here's a link to some pictures.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/69253801@N00/

I realized that it does not play low enough. I have become very used to my low B strings on my bass guitars. So I will probably build another EUB soon with six strings. In the mean time I think I am going to get the Red Mitchell Set Spirocores and play it tuned CGDA. I was wondering if anyone else has any expiriences they'd like to share playing an "electric upright contra cello"? I did not find any thing in the forum search but if you know where to look could you point me in the right direction?
    Thank You

2. vfbass

vfbass

Nov 26, 2006
    Illinois
    I found the thread in the DB forum under fifths tuning. I'd still like to hear what anyone thinks or knows of fifths tuning on EUB. And what strings you like.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    That's a really nice EUB! Congratulations!!
    How did you build it? Did you use an existing upright bass neck/fingerboard, or did you build everything from scratch??

About tuning in 5ths, I am sure that would work excellently, but everything will be different on the fingerboard. So it's a new instrument all together. I play both cello and bass, but the two are radically different, and I have a hard time playing the same things on the two instruments. So prepare for some heavy practicing! :)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's very cool looking! Now you're ready to play some Klaus Nomi tunes... :ninja:

311668808_d1908f0558. [​IMG]

5. vfbass

vfbass

Nov 26, 2006
    Illinois
    I built it all from scratch. I fix instruments (brass and strings) for a living so I have a few resources. I just kinda of made it up as I went along. I like it, it sounds good with crappy SS red labels that have been on 3 other uprights. The sound is exactly inbetween an URB and a fretless BG which is perfect for my taste. I don't think I would want it to sound more or less like either of the two. It really makes a good bass for practicing the bow without having to torture my neighboors. I have always wanted a pointy bass. Unfortunately I made the headstock/"scroll" to small to put 5 tuners on it so I have already started on a new 6 sting EUB. Bubinga body and paduak fboard. It should be done by January sometime.
    Thanks
    VF Bass

6. vfbass

vfbass

Nov 26, 2006
    Illinois
    I want that suit!!!

7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Looks good. Pointy EUBs are far too rare!

I'm stringing my Ergo EUB with a Thomastik Spirocores fifths-tuning set right now (just finished trimming the silk at the bridge end) so I'll hopefully report something next week. I've been using fifths tuning on DB for a few months now and use both fourths and fifths on BG.