Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new favorite bassist is...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    John Wetton...

... I don't know what it is about his playing, but it's so absolutely perfect. When competing with the likes of Tony Levin and Trey Gunn, I could has swore one of those two would be it... but Wetton's playing/tone is incredible.

Anyone know what is gear setup was?

2. you have sound links? id like to hear.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My only soundlinks are King Crimson CDs. He was their bassist/singer on some of their earlier albums. 70s era.

Starless is one of those songs that makes my heart race by the end of it, so powerful.

4. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Indeed. Starless has to be possibly the hardest song for me to listen to, ever, not because it's bad, because of the emotion in it! Starts off all crazy sad, then gets a little creepy, and towards the end, it just goes insane! I can't get very far into it usually without freaking out.

And Wettons tone is amazing, I can get a similar overdrive with my RAT and P-Bass. And not a bad voice either!

I heart John Wetton.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]

*swoon*

Actually I noticed the Rat I traded with typlons does get me pretty similar tone, but I've got a Dean with hot Pickups, when I get my fat sounding Peavey T-40 back, I'll be rockin' hard.

6. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    He is amazing, I think he was the best vocalist in King Crimson... I really like what he does with the break section of One More Red Nightmare.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very much, One More Red Nightmare is the only KC song I've ever learned, and it made me fully appreciate that break section. I'm going to have to get more Wetton era KC.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Court of the Crimson King is amazing.

Not sure what this pictured bass is but I have seen a ton of old pictures with him using it.

[​IMG]

P shape with some sort of chrome control plate?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I think P-bass was standard for him. Usually overdriven. Not sure what cabs.

I agree that he's a great bassist Matt...he always had that muscular, overdriven tone that's very cool. If you like that you should try and get ahold of the album Magma Live. Recorded in '75 with Bernard Paganotti playing bass with incredible overdriven tone and some very nice playing.

I think just about any Wetton fan would also appreciate the tone on that album. Also, if you don't have any albums by UK get their first, self-titled one. It was kind of a "supergroup" with Allan Holdsworth on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Wetton on bass and Eddie Jobson on violin. They put out three albums including their live one but I think the first self-titled one is far and away the best.

brad cook

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't think Matt was asking people to fill in the blank.

brad cook

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    DOH! :rollno:

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really liked John Wetton with the group UK. Their first album came out around 1978 and it is killer. He was one of my favorite Prog Rock Bassists before I really knew what "Prog" was. AS faras I know, he has always used a P-bass.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    He was also in a short lived a pop rock group called The Baby's where he was also bassist and lead vocalist. Very identifiable voice. Truly a great singer. Tough to pull that off when you're playing bass!

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very much. And he does it so well. I have USA (the Live KC album) and he does quite well!

Does he talk with a thick accent, because his voice is very... thick.