1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new secret weapon...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by gustobassman, Aug 12, 2019.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I guess since I'm posting this, it's not going to be a "secret" weapon anymore (;)), but I thought I'd share something I did at a gig last week. Whether or not it made a huge difference remains to be seen but we are gonna keep doing it for the time being.

My reggae band is real mellow - Lovers Rock. Think Gregory Isaacs. We just got a 5x8 banner with a hi-res beach scene, and our overall vibe is that beach thing. This place we played at has a popular reggae night that fills up. We had to do the whole night so we wanted to "control the vibe" as much as possible.

The weapon? A couple of plug-in Airwick Air Fresheners. We went for "Paradise Retreat". Just two, we didn't want it thick, lol. Once the fans kicked in when the place got packed there was just enough in the air to cover the normal reggae-night stank of dirty hippie. Did it work? The dancefloor was absolutely jammed the whole night. Been a while since I've seen that place so positive and "in the mood" all night long. We pointed out what we did to the security at the end of the night and he called us "geniuses". :roflmao:

I'm not patting myself on the back completely. That's hard to reach around and do. Obviously we need more data to determine if this works. That said, depending on what style of music you play and what you are trying to achieve - this could be another way to draw people in to your performance other than just with what they see and hear.

Time will tell. :bassist:

EDIT: I should add - keep the lids for the oils if you don't want everything you own covered with it at the end of the night. Found out the hard way. Open air freshener + backpack full of stuff is not a fun thing.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @gustobassman,

This actually is a great idea! I don't think it would work in all cases though. I play in a country band. I don't think the venue owners want their place smelling like a rodeo. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

danesdad, TolerancEJ, nixdad and 25 others like this.
  3. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I saw a Cinnamon flavor. That screams Fireball whiskey to me. Might work for country!

TolerancEJ, nixdad, megarat and 9 others like this.
  4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    What is the best Air Freshener for metal?

Just kidding - great idea though, I might put one in my case, could work especially well at a certain venue that sometimes has unpleasant odor comng randomly (sewer problems I guess).

danesdad, TolerancEJ, nixdad and 21 others like this.
  5. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Reggae band? [insert cannabis odor joke here]

Oddly, BurnOut, Element Zero and 5 others like this.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I worked with a singer who’s kit always contained a pint of Fireball and some off the wall Norwegian Fisherman’s cough drops that looked like large freeze dried rabbit pellets. He’d use one of the drops prior to the show then nip the Fireball throughout the night. Not sure what actual purpose it served as he was a very powerful singer and we were doing classic country so it’s not like he was having to push his voice.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    43ManSquamish and SWRnut like this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm thinking of using this for our Jethro Tull/Prog rock project...

k53j53lk35j_5.

... to prog, or not? For the thinking man's scent camo.

Ewo, peter nicholas, 2tonic and 12 others like this.
  8. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    [​IMG]

9. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Omg, "Shakespearmint." :roflmao:

I'll take a case of them. :D

danesdad, sgtpepper, clayworx and 6 others like this.
  10. "This actually is a great idea! I don't think it would work in all cases though. I play in a country band. I don't think the venue owners want their place smelling like a rodeo. :p"

For a country band I would go with a leather scent.....

11. Hmmm, Now that I think about it, Leather would work for a hard rock band also.....

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Oh no you didn't.

Wisebass, Winslow and BassCliff like this.
  13. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    I, uh... didn't. It's in the picture you posted. :roflmao:

(I'll still take a case of them.) :D

14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Oh yes they did...

2tonic, Wisebass, Relsom and 2 others like this.
  15. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Exactly! :thumbsup:

2tonic, Wisebass, Beej and 1 other person like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"bacon scent" is what we use. works better than expected, but not as good as hoped. :D

17. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Oh man! This is a crazy thread! I love it and love the idea! Need to incorporate a maple scent. Maple goes well with EVERYTHING and every style of music.
    Very cool idea!

Mactatio, Oddly, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  18. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    tumblr_ntv7qwFUmv1ro8ysbo4_500.

19. [​IMG]

Swampish, sgtpepper, SWRnut and 8 others like this.
  20. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    Awesome. I'm going to be disappointed if that's not 5 x 8 metres.