1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Studio Build (perhaps overly detailed)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by silky smoove, Aug 4, 2015.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I was traveling on a vacation and rock climbing trip last weekend, am gigging and doing an undisclosed adventure that my wife planned for us to celebrate my upcoming birthday (she won’t tell me what we’re doing, so I’m clueless) over this weekend, and am going on a three day rock climbing trip next weekend.

After that I’ve got a few weeks without anything booked. That won’t last, but I’ll try and sneak in the vestibule and possibly the baffle boxes during that time.

Microbass likes this.
  2. I am of course jesting. Blame the wine. I ran out of rum.

3. scottish and you drink rum? lol

Microbass and IconBasser like this.
  4. Absolutely, the only way to make me feel like I’m in the Caribbean amongst these grey skies.... :thumbsup:

I keep the whisky for occasions mainly these days. I’m fairly well aquatinted with Mr Daniels though, albeit not a whisky.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Just ordered some cat7 cable. My internet connection over WiFi in the studio isn’t cutting it. Too far from the router (Apple AirPort Extreme) in my house. I’m going to test out running it to the vestibule and using my secondary router (Apple Airport Express) as a hardwired WiFi dongle. This will eliminate the need for another penetration in the isolation perimeter. If that doesn’t work I’ll route the cable all the way to the computer and directly connect it to the router via cat7. Total distance in the longest scenario is about 90’, which is well below the limit for cat7. Either way I’m going to have to drill through the exterior wall of my house, dig a trench, bury conduit, drill through the exterior and interior wall of the studio, install a surface mount Ethernet jack, etc. Definitely a pain that I should have addressed during principal construction. Oh well. Getting closer to finished though... even if I have been avoiding any real construction lately :p

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    You can plug another router into the ethernet jack to distribute signal around your studio. Then plug your computer into a jack on the router. Best of both worlds.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hardwiring to the computer requires a sound isolation penetration. If I can get it done without that I’ll be happy. I’ll only hardwire (either from the Extreme or the Express) if it’s necessary.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Since you're going underground, I suggest thinking about running a backup, second cable and/or additional needed cable, water pipe, or whatever since you'll have the trench open and may be easier to do now.

IconBasser likes this.
  9. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Are you on the same circuit breaker box as the rest of your house? If so, ethernet over power.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't even know this was a thing. Just went down a YouTube rabbit hole. Looks promising. The power from the street comes into my house. The studio is powered off of a sub panel in the studio itself. Not sure how effectively this will transmit through two circuit breakers, but I'll buy one and see how it works. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and I return it. Thanks!

Microbass and And I like this.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Ethernet over internet has been opposed by the arrl.org. The issue was high frequency noise generated by the technology that affected communications and interfered with equipment. Maybe not good in the studio.

Interference From BPL Systems

Don’t know where it stands now. Resolving issues have been going on for years.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I’ll do some tests when I get the transmitter/receiver. Worst case is that I return them.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A cursory review of the topic over at Gearslutz shows several threads where people have no issues with noise being generated by the receiver/transmitter assembly, and one thread where it introduces noise into the users monitors. Hopefully it works flawlessly for me. It will be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime, so we'll know soon.

14. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    When I had solar panels installed, the installers gave me a couple of Tenda P200s. One for the router, one for the device in my attic that reports solar production data to the internet. I got a couple more to use in places where wifi was weak.

I do have a power over ethernet device in my studio and while mine is not a commercial studio like yours, it doesn't make any significant noise. The solar installers left the packaging plastic that covers the air vents on the devices and they ran for a couple years (with no air venting/cooling), before they developed a high pitched whine presumably due to some sort of thermal overload--but they still work. The ones that had the plastic removed allowing proper air cooling don't make any noise.

It's really simple. Get two devices, plug one into an ethernet port in your main router and into a wall outlet (not a power strip, must be the wall). Plug the other into a wall outlet in your studio and into the ethernet port into your studio computer. Done.

I think the P200 will cap the bandwidth at ~30Mbps.

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It’ll be interesting to hear how it works out.

Stumbo likes this.
  16. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Or, or, you could always start from scratch and entertain us with another 156 pages of studio build related stuff. :D

And I and Microbass like this.
  17. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    After learning so much the first time I think I could do it in 130 pages.

TedH, Joshua, JeroB666 and 6 others like this.
  18. I read the update earlier, and I was thinking about Apple’s Airport extender. Forgot about the IoP thing. Used to sell them! Well. I sold one.

Too much wine. I still have questions about that other thing...

19. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    [polite golf applause ensues]

[​IMG]

Fat Freddy likes this.
  20. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    :laugh: