1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Studio Build (perhaps overly detailed)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by silky smoove, Aug 4, 2015.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I need to hide some cables, but ethernet over power is working great. I'm shocked this works as well as it does. Big thanks to @And I for telling me that it exists. There's no added noise in my system with it in-place like some online sources reported could happen. The power line adapter is plugged into an electrical outlet that is on a dedicated circuit intended for use only by non-music gear. It's running my computer, the HRV, my LCD screen, and now the power line adapter. If I plug the power line adapter into a music gear outlet I might get some noise, but as of now it's silent.

There's about a 25% drop in speed between what happens in my house and what happens out here, but it's still a workable level of internet connectivity. Curiously, if I send the ethernet cable from the power line adapter to my Apple Airport Express, essentially extending the wifi network from my house out to my studio, the download rate drops to a staggering <0.5mbps. Not sure what's going on there, but as long as the studio computer has a solid internet connection being plugged directly into the power line adapter I'm happy. My phone runs fine on 5GE out here and I have a huge pile of data to use each month, so it doesn't need to be on the network, and it can act as a personal hotspot for my tablet should I need that out here as well.

So, not a 100% bulletproof solution, but one that didn't require running any cables, conduit, digging trenches, or drilling through walls. All-in-all I'm going to declare this one a success!

IMG_8817.

Stumbo, DirtDog, JeroB666 and 5 others like this.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    More testing this morning. There's a little added line noise through my guitar amp when the power line adapter is in-place. It's not very loud, so I might just live with it. The noise disappears when the adapter is removed, and it's really only noticeable on high gain settings. I haven't plugged in a bass amp yet to see if I get the same thing.

3. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I would take the minimal noise in comparison to digging a trench near the foundation of the house....

4. A great trade off for the next few years until we have wireless broadband available.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I spent three hours this morning downloading and installing software. I’m still not done yet. I do a lot of production work (more than mixing or mastering), so having all of my production tools handy is a prerequisite to getting any of my work done. Super tedious, but necessary.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It might be time to rethink your entire home network. Apple dropped their network product lines a while ago so the writing is on the wall.

In the past I have used their products for both wireless and wired bridging. Wired bridging was good, wireless not so much. You might benefit from a modern wireless bridge. I won’t recommend products because I only use wired bridging, so I’d just be guessing about which brand is top of the pack now. Most products do both, but it pays to check the docs and reviews. Overall, my opinion is that the best results happen when using the same brand of home networking gear from end to end (except for unmanaged switches).

7. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No need. Everything is working great.

JeroB666 and Microbass like this.
  8. My TimeCapsule is 9 years old now, still better than most trash out there without spending some big coin. I’m lacking AC WiFi but there are only 2 devices that currently support that.. both are phones so no biggie. Use them till they die silky!

9. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    I found spending the coin is worth it. Using a really robust router changes everything.

I use this Linksys and it's incredible. Living in a 4 story townhouse in the the city and I can easily get signal up on my roof, as well as down the street. Also particular helpful if you have a lot of devices on the network (phones, tablets, smart TVs, security systems, control products, smart speakers, etc). I know you don't need it, but it would solve your issues. (@Microbass too)

*Better pricing can be found if you're willing to shop around.

Microbass likes this.
  10. Looks good! I live in a small, but old house. My WiFi is definitely all good for the time being, once it dies I'll come back to ya! :)

11. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    Silky have you installed video cameras? have you thought about doing a vlog or live stream? a vlog from the start would have been a very cool idea

Fat Freddy likes this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Was there even internet back then?....:wideyed:

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I think it was call the "world wide web". Web, because we all got caught in it.:jawdrop:

Microbass, Fat Freddy and Highroler79 like this.
  14. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No cameras installed. Any videoing will be done on an as-needed basis. My wife's a photographer so we have lots of camera gear to throw up whenever I want to shoot something. Videoing everything while I was building would have been too much. I was already maxing myself out by building, updating a build thread, and trying to have a life.

There was barely fire or the wheel back then.

15. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I dont understand, are you saying Talkbass isn't your life?! How could you... :cool:

Stumbo likes this.
  16. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'll try to get better and refocus my priorities.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Yeah, we really just couldn't take another Game of Thrones type ending.:atoz:

I like your show better.:thumbsup:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Microbass, Fat Freddy and JeroB666 like this.
  18. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    It's like a mic drop, only...

upload_2019-5-30_14-29-26.

Ethereal Thorn, Stumbo and Microbass like this.
  19. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Studio update: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good:
    I got a new studio kit. I decided not to spring for the Sonor kit I’d planned. For one I didn’t want to spend that much on a kit. For two, the colors they’re available in didn’t go well with my studio aesthetics, and three I wanted something a little more modern sounding. I ended up with a Mapex Armory five piece in red burst finish over olive wood outer shells. Really sharp. I’ve got the Armory Exterminator snare with an Evans Black Hydraulic head for those deep and fat 70s snare sounds (add dampening and it’s instantly a modern funk sound ala Nate Smith), but the centerpiece of the kit is the AMAZING Mapex Black Panther Wraith snare that I added. With an Evans Genera HD Dry batter side head and an Evans 300 snare side head it is an absolute workhorse for contemporary snare sounds. Add my DW hardware, full compliment of Sabian HHX cymbals and Pork Pie throne, and I’ve got a monstrous kit that sounds and plays wonderfully. Offset rack toms on a DW 3900 dual tom stand allows me to keep the ride in the ergonomic placement at the expense of a wider spread between the second rack tom and the floor tom, along with a SLIGHTLY wide placement of the hats and left side crash. I still need a cymbal arm for the tom stand for my splash, as well as another stand and a matching china cymbal to round things out.
    6F835BBA-0DC7-4531-AE67-0A505C0CFF50.

34FE895F-BB6C-45A6-A734-9AB384013011.

The Bad:
    Now that I have my drums I need to get the vestibule finished so I have a place to store them. This is actually a good thing, but my summer is so jam packed with adventures it’s going to be hard to shoehorn in the time to get this done. I might need to schedule some time off work to not kill myself with scheduling.

The Ugly:
    My Apogee interfaces have developed an audio dropout problem. I’m working with Apogee tech support who’ve been exceedingly helpful, but we haven’t quite landed on a solution just yet. I suspect they’re going to have me return them for a replacement when a solution isn’t found. It’s not a big deal as I’m too busy to do any studio work at the moment anyway, but it would be nice to have everything functional. As-is I can’t really do anything audio related in the studio. Even things as simple as streaming music through the system while I’m working is a non-starter as the dropouts are too erratic and sometimes span several minutes of downtime. I’m certain Apogee will make the situation right.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  20. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My wife and I both scheduled a couple days off around July 4th. We’re going to use that time to complete all of the hardscaping in front of the studio. It’ll really clean up the front of the building and will minimize gravel from tracked in, which is currently a bit of a problem (ie I have to sweep a lot).

Highroler79 and Microbass like this.