1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My old friend Carl Fontana

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Sep 18, 2008.

1. This doesn't have much to do with the DB, but does have alot to do with music.
    Carl was one of my mentors. He & Eddie Lockjaw Davis were responsible for getting me the concert/jazz parties of Dick Gibson here in Colorado....
    If I Only Had A Brain---
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Carl+Fontana&emb=0#
    If I only had a brain doesn't show, go to the left and click on it.
    PW

2. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    I had the honor to play just one gig with Carl Fontana here in Italy in the mid 90's. It was a dream come true for me. He played beautifully and was such a beautiful person...we all miss you Carl !

3. Paul,

Thanks for the link. It reminds me why I chose music as a profession. While I never had the chance to meet or hear Carl Fontana play live, I put many a scatch in my vinyl records trying to get his tonguing and phrasing down. He has to be in the top 5 most influencial trombonists for jazz trombonists to learn from.

4. Yer welcome....while you're on youtube, check out the stuff with Carl & talk about tonguing ( i'm getting excited), Frank Rosalino.
    BIG EGO HEAD strikes again....I had the joyful experience of working with Carl, Frank and Tommy Flanagan.

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Got to meet Carl in the early eighties while he was leading a band for a wedding gig we were also on(Nashville Brass). He was a great guy and enjoyed talking with us, and then he played,OMG, now I knew what all the fuss was about! One of our trombonists loaned him his slide cream, which he later put on permanent display, I think. Carl's band consisted of Ross Tompkins, Buddy Childress(both of whom are also now gone), a bassist and drummer from Vegas, and some boy singer named Frank Sinatra Jr. (!?!) We just thought we had just died and gone to heaven.

Ike