My post

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderchicken, Jul 12, 2013.

1. I'm not sure what forum to post this in but I wanted to put it somewhere that most of you would see it.

I had to stop playing bass for good because of some muscular and nerve disease that started a year or so ago. Two weeks I ran into some gastric problems and the next thing I know, I'm in surgery and they remove 3 feet of colon with several malignant tumors on it. (Yes, Mrs. Lincoln, the play was OK...)

Long story short, I don't know how much longer I'll be at the site but I enjoyed and still enjoy everything over the last 10+ years. I'll be here as much as I cfan because music and bass playing was one if not THE most happiness I've had in my life.

Meeting so many people here has been life-changing as well and I look forward to reading A LOT MORE! I just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciated the purchases you made from me (got a lot of Dr bills paid!) and I may find some misc stuff that I'll sell over the next months.

The main thing - KEEP PLAYING and care for each other and help each other out. It will make YOU and your fellow bassists better - players and people!

Godspeed -

Rob Williams :bassist:

2. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    Best of luck to you, sir. Thanks for the post and the perspective.

3. Thank you, Thunderchicken, for the kind words. I find this perspective on life and TB very impressive given your situation!

I wish you the best of luck, and the least of suffering!

4. It's a shame to see you go, friend. I've become accustomed to your avatar and its accompanying wisdom over the years. Don't forget that bass isn't the only way to express yourself musically, especially in the age of midi sequencers. Bassists make the best composers!

5. All the best to you and yours. As I get older, I see more and more around me in similar straits. It helps me to realize how small my own problems really are. Of course, as you say, music has always had a way of bringing out the joy in my life, too.

Thank you for being a part of it all! Look after yourself.

6. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I feel your pain.

In 2004, after very serious and mysterious illnesses for
    a year, they started removing sections of my intestines.
    I had 3 operations in less than a year and ended up with
    a colostomy. Months later, they operated to remove
    the colostomy.

I got sicker and sicker. Lost 80 pounds.

Then they removed a section of colon and I was on a
    colostomy again!!!

6 months later, I was lucky enough to have another
    operation to remove the colostomy.

I was still working as a surveyor and supporting a wife
    and two kids.

I got staff infection in the hospital and it became the most
    resistant resistant type. It will soon kill me.

Unknown to the doctors, I had a bleeding ulcer. The doctor
    over dosed me on blood thinner and I bled out completely.

They had to go to an artery in my hart in order to get blood
    in my body because my veins were flat. I ended up getting
    11 units of blood.

I suffered brain damage from loss of blood! That alone makes
    life difficult.

I knew I was going to die. But I didn't.

I preyed for God to let me live to 65 so I could finish raising
    my my 2 sons. My wife had already passed.

I was disabled, but I got back into playing bass as a hobby.
    That's how I got to TB. A lot of members look down on me
    because I'm no longer a working bassest. But hay. I'm alive.

I'll be 65 in December and my kids are gone and don't have
    much to do with me any more.

I'm a lonely old bass player.

I'm ready to die. I ain't scared. I already died once. All I have
    to do now is get sick enough and I'm checking out,

Tabdog

7. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    I had my rectum removed 7 weeks ago do to cancer. Fortunately, the cancer was limited to the rectum and my prognosis is good. I just started playing again last week and while I can only manage a few songs before needing a break, it is great to play again. I'm so sorry that you have had to put your bass down. I'm sure playing is as much joy for you as it is for me. My thoughts are with you.

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Ditto.

9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

My best wishes to you, Thunderchicken. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your situation. And please don't be in too much of a hurry to leave us!

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks for the post Thunderchicken. I too have found great relief and comradery here on TB, especially when things head south. As others have said....stick around a while longer...we still have to track the Mothman and figure out what the best bass for metal is. Positive vibes coming your way.

Ps Tabdog - sounds like you've had you've been to hell and back. Here's hoping things get better soon.

11. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    +1 on the positive vibes (right around 50Hz!).

Also thanks for the heavy dose of perspective, and the reminder to all of us to be thankful for what we have, here at TB as well as everywhere else.

I have a gig this Friday, and as playing bass is as near a religious thing that I experience (when I play, I feel like I am representing, joining, and sharing a vibe that all bass players have created and contributed to in history), I will be throwing some notes out in your honor!

12. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I'm glad you posted this, and I wish you best of luck. Being in a community of people who love what you love is a great thing. You will always be welcome here.

13. So much hard/good to read stuff here. Good for the soul,.thanks all for sharing

14. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    thoughts, prayers and good mojo sent your way mr chicken. thanks for the post and as others have said, perspective.

15. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    This plus , just hang out and talk, it will help.
    Also, Tabdog, you also have friends here. Just keep on playin for yourself. I retired from gigging a year ago , mainly because of a new job but the loss of half of my little finger on my fretting hand and the onslaught of RA in both hands etc., just starting to be too much for the long gigs. There are a bunch of us senior players here, hang on and hang out.
    Thunderchicken, I have enjoyed your posts in the past and will be looking forward to more in the future.

16. Thanks so much for the great vibes and posts from everyone. Know that Karma knows who you are and will make sure you are repaid, even if you don't realize it at the time.

I have had offers to donate a bass for me to noodle around (I sold everything I had, but gladly did so) but I'm not at that point yet - I'm in the middle of treatment and my concentration is on my wife and the everyday stuff of living brings.

Know that I read the board almost every day and I love following the posts, the dialogues and especially the GREAT GAS I get from reading what's for sale. If I ever get the OK, I *will* be back in the market, even if it's a Squier Affinity with a bowed neck ;)

Rob
    Not forgotten, not gone :)

17. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    All the best to you thunder, to tab, and everyone here.

Some challenges are so huge - may we all find the brothers, sisters and friends we need to help us through.

18. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Well said. All the best to you Rob, Tab, and all y'all fellow "bottom feeders" out there. I'm honored to be a part of this family! :bassist:

19. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Rittman, OH, USA
    Thuderchicken and Tabdog. Words fail. Just know that we are pulling for you to somehow find the strength to face what each day may bring.

20. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    He's the lead singer, rhythm guitarist and songwriter in our metal band... He's younger than me and it happened ten years ago... So, much younger and with all the danger related to a fast growing body... Everything went good... the hitten area wasn't spreading all over, so that they could remove it with no further developments. He's still rocking with us, is the authentic heart for all of us in the band. His former girlfriend passed away in the meanwhile instead: completely different kind of reasons.

So, who knows what life can bring?

I'm divorcing right now and, while never before experiencing anything wrong from a health point of view, I'm now awaiting clinic results from analysis due to depict a stress driven liver steathosis...

I've a 20 months old son and suffer from being rejected by my wife and not being allowed to live with my kid anymore.

Wise Frank Sinatra used to sing "that's life and I can't deny it"

Hold on my friends

Cheers,
    Wallace