Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my poweramp rmx 1450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jedi, Apr 21, 2005.

1. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    this is a bit weird or nothing to worry about, but my setup is this:

yamaha pb-1
    rmx 1450

it doesn't seem like i can get loud enough to play shows without the poweramp clipping like crazy or the cab sounding scary. but the cab is rated at 1000watts, and i don't believe the rmx goes above that at 8ohms. put i can't seem to get it loud.

my friend ran it through his swr 810 workingman's cab that is 800watts, and he says he can barely getting any sound out of it. i wasn't there, but that is what he says.
    coudl my poweramp be defective (i bought it second hand off ebay)?
    i had spoken to another friend about this before, and he said that adding another cab bridged would increase speaker surface area, thus allowing more sound to be produced. or something. it's late and i'm totally frustrated with a million things so it probably didn't all come out right.
    but i just thought of the idea of running my friends mesa m-pulse with the cab tommorrow and seeing which one pushes it more. but any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    kyle

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You do realise that poweramp only puts out 280 watts at 8 ohms in stereo, right?
    Are you running it bridged or stereo? Because generally 280 watts won't push a 1000 watt cab too well.

3. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    bridged. i thought i had added that. but i didn't.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    What kind of cable are you using to run from your amp to your cab? Speakon or binding posts?

If speakon, did you wire your speakon connectors correctly?

5. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    hmm, i didn't think there was a way to 'wire' speakon. i thought it's that huge plug. i have a speakon to 1/4"

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Make sure the Speakon plug on your cable is wired to 1+ and 2+, as it shows in the manual (at the amp end, anyway). Also make sure that on channel 2, its gain control is turned all the way down (on the front) and its LF filter is turned off (switch #8, on the back). Make sure switches 6 and 7 are set to bridged and 4 and 5 are set to stereo.

See if it works any better.

7. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Okay...I'm sure somone who knows much better will come along soon and tell you what you need to know....But I will give it a shot....

There are several different types of Speakon connectors...If yours is blue and black with a gray collar, you will have to buy a new cable (or just a new connector....I'll get to that in a minute) What you need is the 4 conductor connector. It is blue and black with a silver of gray tab on it. They sell these anywhere that sells pro-audio gear, even at Guitar Center, behind the pro-audio counter.

Okay....buy the connector that you need... now, unscrew the blue collar on the old speakon jack, and slide it out of the way. Pull out the three-pronged plastic thing...It takes a firm tug, but it just pulls out. Look at the gray collar now. On the back of it is a spot that says "push" with a down arrow. There is a tab in the black connector body BEHIND the collar that you need to push down with a screwdriver to remove the collar. It took me a bit of trying, but I got it eventually. Now, you have access to where the wires connect to the connector...unscrew the little set screws holding the wires in, and pull them out of the base of the connector.

So now (hopefully) you have two bare wires, and a new four connector speakon....If you look at the part of the new speakon where the wires attach, there are FOUR spots. You will only be using TWO of them. Look underneath the connectors, there will be tiny print saying 1+, 2+, 2-, and 1-. You need to connect the red wire to the 1+ connector, and the black wire to the 2+ connector. Remember to slide the new blue collar and plastic three prong thingy onto the cable first. Screw the collars in tightly. Solder them in if you want. Just make sure they arent lose. Then put the connector together. You now have a cable capable of using your amps full power. I reckon you wont be worrying about power any more.

If this is too confusing, or you just dont want to deal with it, check out www.procablesnsound.com, or PM talkbass user PBD. They can make a whole ready to go cable for you. There is a place to send an e-mail for a quote...just email them and tell them what you are using, that you want a bridge-mono cable for it, and how long you want it to be. They'll be able to hook you up.

They were extremely helpful with all my dumb questions, and told me everything I needed to know. I needed a cable in a day or two, so I didnt order from them, but I will whole heartedly reccommend them to anyone who asks.

8. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Thanks for the help. I have the wrong cable, but the nearest palce to get the adaptor is an hour drive and i won't be able to go for a week or so. but i've been tossing around the idea recently of getting rid of my power/pre and just getting a head so i don't have to worry about seperate components. so i'm not sure if i'm going to get teh cable and try it out or not.
    i've got a yamaha pb-1 with an rmx-1450, and am thinking of getting rid of them and maybe getting the kustom 1200 groove thing. but i dunno. i think that would be enough power to loudly push to avatar 212s at 4ohms overall...something like 837watts. i dunno.
    thanks for all the help
    and anyone is welcome to give me their opinoin on the second half of this post.
    -kyle

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Dude, 7$ and a few minutes of work will give you more power then you can imagine. You owe it to yourself to at least try.

Oh, and make sure you always keep the correct end in the amplifier. The end you rewire HAS to go in the poweramp, or it wont work right.

At that point, if its still not for you, THEN start looking for something else.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Until you get the right Speakon, you can still connect the wires directly to the binding posts like it shows in the manual.

11. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    True. I hadn't even thought of that.

12. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    right on. i'll have to go get the manual from the site as mine didn't come with one.

as for dan's second to last message, i had actually already been thinking about this before i was getting frustrated with the volume. but i will definately try that out tommorrow.
    thanks again
    you guys are rad
    -kyle

13. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Meh. Thank Bob. Everything I said is just recycled knowledge from him. I love this site.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hang on a sec.. I have a speakon with the blue and grey colar thing. It's got NL2FC written on it, and under that it's got 1+.

In my Warwick manual, in the speaker out part, it's got written:
    The signal from the Lockable Coaxial Speaker Connection outputs is lead by 1+ and 1-.

I lack headroom majorly (Especially for 300 watt).. Have i got the wrong speakon cable, or is it wired wrong? or IS my amp just quite?

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm starting to think a large number of quiet amps are the victim of just using the wrong kind of cable...

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I believe it is wired just fine. With every +1 on a speakon, there is also a -1. With +2, theres -2. Unless your amp bridges I think its OK.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I tried out the Kustom, and contrary to opinions on this board I didn't like it a ton. Doesn't mean its a bad amp or anything, just try before you buy. It also takes 10X as many watts for 2X the volume. I say stay with the QSC.

18. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    thanks for the opinion. i found out that shop where i live is a kustom dealer, which is surprising. so i'm going to go try to check it out in the next week or so. plus i took apart the speakon cable and directly attached the two wires to the amp, and changed one switch on the back that was wrong, number 8. but i didn't get teh chance to try it, because i just did it adn it's late.
    -kyle