1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"My Search For The Perfect Upright Strings" article by Bob McCaskey

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Steve Boisen, May 13, 2017.

1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Attached is an article called "My Search For The Perfect Upright Strings" by Bob McCaskey that appeared in the March 1996 issue of Bass Player magazine. It was the first article about double bass strings I ever came across, and it actually informed a few of my subsequent purchase decisions. I agree with most of the author's opinions regarding the strings I've tried, but I find a few of the comments puzzling. I'm curious to hear what others think (you should be able to see a full-size version of the article by clicking on it).

- Steve

Jason Hollar likes this.
  2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    IMG_1661.JPG

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    "The tone of Spirocores lacks definition and helps if your intonation is weak".

What? :confused:

I find that if my intonation gets better with Spirocores cuz you can hear it better. What he's saying is the opposite?

That's really the only thing is disagreed with him on. Everything else was interesting

Steve Boisen and dhm like this.
  4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Cool to know that this insanity existed pre-internet forums. Maybe we're hard-wired as (bass playing) humans.......

Steve Boisen likes this.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bob also wrote a great shootout of bass pickups around the same time. I had some email exchanges with him and he was a great guy, very helpful.

Steve Boisen likes this.