Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my stingray is solid

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so i've been playing my jazz bass almost exclusively. i pulled out the stingray after not touching it for a few months. the bastard is still in tune and hasn't budged an inch. :bassist: :bassist: that's a fine instrument.

i want a smoother amp so i can play it more. it's a tad agressive for what i'm doing now.

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    put it back, keep playing the jazz.

3. Leave it out, use both.

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Same with my Stingray. Stays in tune.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the "use both".

When I sold my Modulus and got my SR5 I thought I was going to be giving up having a rock solid instrument. As it turns out I had no reason to worry. Aside from (very minor) seasonal changes it seems like the thing never goes out of tune.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My Stingray 4's action got lower and lower over the summer months - too much neck relief. I slackened the truss rod off when the fret buzz got bad, now I'm enjoying it again. Funnily enough, had exactly the same problem last year with my Ric 4003.

The necks on my other basses haven't shifted, including my MIM non-reinforced Jazz, which I hear other people say can be a bit sensitive. Three of my other basses are graphite necks anyway, no problems with movement there :D

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    By the way... isn't the truss rod adjustment on the SR great? The little wheel arrangement. Dead easy. The Ric is a bit of a pain in this respect... had to remove the name plate and use a special truss rod wrench (it was quite hard to track one of these down over here, as well).

8. Tee hee... now that's good sarcasm.

- Andrew

It IS sarcasm.... right? :D