1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My string winder is not helpful!

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Bass68, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Bass68

Bass68

Oct 28, 2009
    Berkeley, Ca
    Ok, for years I've been meaning to get one of those handy-dandy string winders, imagining whipping the strings off in a fraction of the time. Finally I got one! Only one problem: it's a total pain in the a**! It won't stay on the tuners when I'm turning it, just slides of after a couple turns. I got the one from Gollihur, the kind where you can remove the crank and use a drill-driver as well. Did I get the wrong one, or are they all like this? Is it me?

2. Tuner handles can be very different. For my acoustic bass I use two sheets of rubber inside to make the winder stay on the tuner handle. For a different tuner I need to remove the rubber sheets.

And you can always remove the handle from the winder to use it with the drill-driver. This should work without the problem you have with the handle now.

3. Bass68

Bass68

Oct 28, 2009
    Berkeley, Ca
    Thanks! I'll try that. I guess most folk must use a table when changing strings... The other logistical problem is I tend to do it on the floor, which leave no room. Time to clear the kitchen table I suppose!

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Put the bass on it's back on a bed with the neck hanging over. That way, you have room to work and you aren't putting upward pressure on the neck.

5. This suggestion may be worth gold. Thank so much.

6. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    ...or you could pay your room mate a beer to do the winding.

7. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    This is a similar solution to what others have mentioned; a couple winds of electrical tape around each "half" of the winder's contact areas (around the half-circle and through the middle, on each side).

This "thins" the center area and provides a little more "friction" for use on thinner tuners with the hand crank. The issue is that the force to rotate the crank makes the unit "shift" if it's not tight around the tuning machine ear.

Using it with an electric screwdriver, it's less of an issue because the force exerted by the driver to turn it is even.

8. I did the same thing, it's only that I put two sheets of thin leather inside my winder. There is no such problem with an electric screwdriver.

9. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    Spend a couple bucks on a Black & Decker, every home should have one anyway. The kind with a bendable handle is great.

10. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I've been wanting to get one of these - it's a little expensive when I've seen it on the endcap at Home Depot, but the ease of using it (not having to fumble for the button, etc.) would make it PERFECT for use with a Turbo-Tuner...

Gyro Screwdriver

black-and-decker-gyro_07-e1349751165216-500x375.

11. I just slowed down my winding a little and I can keep the winder on. Still way faster than by hand

12. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON