1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My trio of Sukops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by climb, Mar 16, 2009.

1. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My 3 Sukops--one interesting fact is that they're all 34" scale, even the 6er. Another oddity is that I really disliked the singlecut Sukops when I first saw them, from an aesthetic perspective. Now, after owning a few, I prefer the singlecuts to the doublecuts. Sukops are amazing instruments, especially for the price on the used market. The tone and playability are astounding.

left to right:
    singlecut alder / myrtle burl/bem w blocks/ 5 string fretted
    doublecut mahogany / burl maple (i think) / ebony / 6 string fretted
    singlecut walnut semihollow / spalt&flame maple / ebony / 4 string fretless

What do you think? Got a Sukop? Let's see it!

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Very nice! i have always liked Sukops, alas that I have never had the chance to try one.

3. They have a quirky shape. And I applaud that. I've never had the opportunity to try one though.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've owned 2 of his earlier 4 strings and still have one of them. They are beautifully made instruments.

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Nice, I think I like the top on the double cut the best.

6. Placing them in that order(5, 6, 4 as opposed to 4, 5, 6)is giving me a feng-shui wedgie though. Again- beautiful. :)

7. I played one in Atlanta a few years ago. They are fantastic basses.

8. They looks really nice!

9. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I noticed Sukop is using a different bridge now--kind of looks like you have one on your fiver. Any improvement, or is it pretty much the same as the older Dingwall design?

Have you compared the fretless to a Zon? Are the semihollows substantially lighter? I've got my eye on a Sukop, but I really need to sell that Linc fretless. I might have to pull the trigger though. :meh:

10. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I had a sweet Zon Sonus Special 5 fretless a few months back. It was a beautiful instrument, but for some reason I never felt really sold on the graphite neck. It did have really articulage, bright tone, but seemed a little generic. For some reason, I feel like Sukops are a more individual, organic instrument. I'm not sure if Zons are handcrafted to the same extent as Sukops, where the wood is really left in almost a natural state and really breathes. The Sukop semihollow I have is lighter than the Zon, but it's 4 string. In general, Sukops (especially with ash) tend to be on the lighter side.

As far as the bridge goes, my new 5er does have one--I can't honestly tell a tone difference especially in light of the different specs, but I thought the older bridges were great as well. They all have individual bridges for each string. Good luck on your quest.

11. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    that is hilarious

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    One of my fave headstocks-looks like something out of Lord of the Rings.

13. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Nice basses, very wonderfully made, stunning craftsmanship. I don't own one, but I met Steve at the Angel Fire resort when we gigged the bar up there. Very nice guy, let me play one of his basses for a set or two, it practically played itself. Stupid low action, no buzzes. Steve is also a montser bassist, dude has some skills.

If I ever decide to go totally custom, I can't imagine finding a bass with more attention to detail, a truly world class instrument.

I personally don't like the single cut look, but that's just me. The one I played was single, but it was damn nice sounding and playing.

14. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Beautiful basses. Congrats!

15. Thats an awesome collection you've got going there!

16. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I dig the body shapes...more so of the double cut...but even the double cuts are very attractive. I don't like the headstock as much and that has always thrown me off of the Sukops, but I bet they sound, feel, and play incredibly! Beautiful trio you have!

17. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    audio clip of the 6er

18. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Any Sukop owners out there? Let's see the basses! If anybody wants, we could even call it a Sukop owners club...

19. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I'm still trying to 'appreciate' the look of the large upper horn. What does it do to the bass weight?

20. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Do you mean the singlecut or doublecut? In general, Sukops are pretty light. They're also thin back to front, with the entire body hand carved in a radius that matches the fingerboard. As far as looks--I know exactly what you mean. The singlecut looks really different on the body held at playing angle than it does on a stand. It takes the emphasis away from the bulge of the upper singlecut side and makes it seem somehow more tapered (more similar to a Fodera Emperor II with it on, even though not at all alike in a photo).