My Warmoth Is Here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassclef112, Jun 30, 2005.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Finally - all together and on the road.
    Here are the specs:
    Carved Dinky P (Mahogany) w/quilt cap
    Macassar Ebony Jazz neck/fingerboard
    Lindy Fralin P, Duncan CS MM w/series/parallel/single coil switch
    Aguilar OBP-3 @18v w/ mid select switch
    Schaller bridge and BMFL tuners

The tone is more modern than retro, but there's excellent punch. The ebony neck keeps a nice zing on the notes and the pre is nicely voiced - bass doesn't boom and mids don't honk. The final set up was done by Jeremy Perks over at Rudy's in NYC and he did a great job - it plays wonderfully. I am really getting into this bass! It'll be a while before it comes out of the bag. Warmoth makes some excellent product indeed! :D :D

2. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
  3. that's awesome. nice bass.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That thing's gotta be extremely thumpy with the P pickup and the uber bucker (as I like to call it.)
  5. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Actually, no. I thought about it a lot when I went for that configuration and it turned out like I figured. The ebony neck is extremely hard and keeps the top end very present and the MM is quite punchy. I've only done 2 gigs with it so far but I found myself dialing in a touch of bass and low mid boost (it doesn't need a lot) which really fattens it up while keeping definition. The OBP-3 is voiced very well - bass boost doesn't boom and mids don't honk. It reminds me of my ASAT with all the tone boost rolled off. Those pickups are pretty bright, but thickened up they kick with authority.

I'm still road testing it, but so far I'm very pleased.
  6. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Mmmm, i love gold hardware on ebony *Drool*

How much did it cost ya?
  7. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I got the neck a couple of years ago for another bass and that didn't work out so it sat in the closet. Some stuff I already had, some I grabbed off ebay when I could. The neck has nearly doubled in price since then - there's one in their Showcase right now for $549. The body is the most recent part, standard pricing plus $300 for the 5A Quilt upgrade. Everything else is off-the-shelf. Then there's the cost of a grind and polish on the frets and final assembly. I did as much as I could myself, like shielding, mounting the pickups and some hardware.
    Since I did it piecemeal and didn't have to take the hit all at once I can't really say. It wasn't inexpensive, but I feel it was worth it.
  8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Warmoth makes great stuff!!

nice bass! congrats!
  9. I'm thinking of doing a Warmoth with the exact same p'ups and body, and was wandering if the bass goes low or stays trebly. I know you gave a hint of what how you set it up, but I figured the low P and the boomy H would give a low growl to it. That's the reason why I was thiking of that combo, I want lots lots lotsa growl.

10. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    It seems it's a popular misconception that P pickups are deep. Same with MM. They aren't - they are actually very bright. It's rolling off the treble on a P that makes it thick and low. MM's are usually paired with an active pre which is voiced in a specific way. Take a P with the tone all the way up and se how bright it gets - that's the real sound of the pickup.

A bright sounding pickup will get punchy and stay focused when you add low mids and bass. That's what this does. The OBP-3 is pretty flexible, and believe me, this is not a boomy, no definition setup. It's inherantly a very modern sounding bass, but it's also very adjustable. Solo the P, cut the highs and boost the lows and it'll give you dub - solo the MM and it's all the growl you want.
  11. So, basically, it's the preamp doing the talking through the pickups? Like, if I nix all treble, the p'ups will stay low, doing what I'm asking them to do, not ignore it and sound scratchy and "boomy?"

What I want is a bass that has a low clear focused bottom end, but can also be growly as all hell when I want.. That's why I initialy thought of the P/H combo. is there a better combo that will do this for me? Like a bridge jazz/humbucker??? Or is the Precision Humbucker going to suffice???

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Now that's a project that turned out well! I can tell that you put a lot of thought & planning into it. Very nice quilt top on there also. I too am a fan of ebony boards. A bit of trivia: the meaning of the Greek word for ebony is "voice of the gods". I'm waiting for Mike Kinal to finish up a MK-21 with the same pickup configuration with bartolini's. Anticipation is mounting :hyper:
  13. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    NIce Bass, I am thinking abou buying a Warmoth as well, but i think i am gonna out mine together myself.but congrats on the great bass.