Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mystery Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by friggin egg, Sep 22, 2005.

1. friggin egg

friggin egg

Sep 22, 2005
    This is my friend's dad's bass that he fixed up himself. I can't figure out what brand it is because he refinished it,and in the process stripped all the labels on it. I like the sound a lot,and it has good vintage sound with flatwound strings. The only writing on it is the words "Made In Japan" on the neck plate, other than that one of the tuning pegs has been replaced with a fender open back. If you have any ideas as to what it might be please share.

2. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    My First thought was a EKO or a Harmony, It looks sort Hangstromish but that would be sweden, The finger rest and pick up are not familiar, Thats my guess so far.

3. Wow, i dont usually like refinished basses butr for some crazy reason, im really digging that....uh.... poo brown, it makes it look vintage.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe a Teisco, but I'm thinkin not. Looks more like an Eko or maybe Kent/Hagstrom?

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Those knobs scream Kent to me

6. +1

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That looks like it would be a really nice bass if it was professionally refinished and a luthier did a spot check.

8. TBPlayer

TBPlayer

Mar 25, 2005
    SoCal
    My first bass, which I got in about 1970 and still have, looks almost exactly like that (except for the refin) and it' a Lindell. The pickup looks identical. The pickguard is metal (aluminum, I think).

I've never seen another bass like mine. I did an Internet search for "Lindell Bass", but didn't come up with anything.

-Phil

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Lets see a pic of yours.

10. TBPlayer

TBPlayer

Mar 25, 2005
    SoCal
    I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. My wife is at a kids birtday party this afternoon and took our digital camera with her and I'm busy tonight.

-Phil

11. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The confusion on brands comes from the practice of importers putting their own brand names on imported products. Zim Gar, Kent and undoubtedly others came out of the same factories in Japan all through the '60's. Sometimes the coast that the item was eventually sold on had to do with what brand was put on.

12. friggin egg

friggin egg

Sep 22, 2005
    Hey thanks for your input so far; i still haven't found anything yet. If you have any other suggestions or comments feel free to post. Here are some more pictures.

13. I gotta say that, for the era we're speaking of, they actually got the shape right and made a fairly decent looking bass. So many of the Japanese instruments made back then looked like products of a Dali nightmare.

14. TBPlayer

TBPlayer

Mar 25, 2005
    SoCal
    Alright, here are a couple of shots of mine. I'd say it looks identical to yours, friggin' egg. Mine says "Lindell" right at the top of the headstock.

Attached Files:

15. Both basses are very cool. :smug:

16. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Iirc, Lindell stuff was all Teisco.

17. friggin egg

friggin egg

Sep 22, 2005
    Hey TBPlayer, I like the burst on yours, it looks very old school. I think Eristic was right about about it being a Tiesco. I found a link for it. It's at the bottom of the page. Here Thanks for all your help.

Oh, one more thing, I'm just curious; how much do you think i should offer for it, if i was going to buy it of my friend's dad? Everthing is in good order except for the volume knob, it cuts in and out as you turn the volume up or down. It can be easily replaced.

18. TBPlayer

TBPlayer

Mar 25, 2005
    SoCal
    If it were me, I wouldn't offer very much for it - maybe $75 - $100 if it's in good shape, as you indicate.

I haven't played mine in years and years - I had to go dig it out of our 'storage' room and then spend about 15 minutes cleaning it before I took the pics (it doesn't have a case).

The neck is huge and the fingerboard is pretty flat - not very comfortable to play. Still, I played it for about 3 or 4 years in the early seventies, until I could afford to buy a new Fender Jazz. At that time, I had it (the Lindell) strung with black tapewounds and actually glued white fake rabbit fur to the pickguard!!! :eek:

Another thing - I paid $0 for this bass - someone gave it to me in about 1970 or so and it looked pretty old and well used then.

-Phil