1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

N(G)BD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verycoolname, Jun 18, 2014.

1. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    New graduation bass day! And also my first NBD since I joined TB (didn't post one for my Ibanez for whatever reason...)

I graduated from high school yesterday (finally! ;)), and I decided beforehand I'd treat myself to a new bass. There's a local music store about five minutes away from my school (convenience fuels GAS...), and I've been ogling a Gretsch there for awhile. I've played it a few times there, and on Monday (the day of our graduation practice) I stopped by and finally bought it! :thumbsup:

I would have bought it at full price (because I was so in love), but it turns out they were having a Grads sale (10% off!) which applied to both the bass and the Gretsch hard case. I also traded in an old acoustic guitar of mine for store credit, which eased the cost a bit more.

This is my first hollow body, and my first short scale, and I adore it; it's a great looking and sounding bass that I'll be proud to bring to college (don't worry, I'll lock it up...)

And I know the rules, "no pics no bass." I don't have my own camera--and I don't want to inconvenience my parents by asking them for theirs--, so here's a few poor cellphone/webcam pics to prove that I actually own the thing... (Feel free to ignore my arm and ugly basement :smug:)

Photoon6-18-14at908PM_zps2fb2eb81.

Photoon6-18-14at907PM_zpsa070c412.

Bass_zps466e4c44.

AGH likes this.
  2. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Congrats on graduating and the new bass! Thats beautiful man.

verycoolname likes this.
  3. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Congratulations on graduating - that's a big achievement.

verycoolname likes this.
  4. Well done on the graduation and the bass.

verycoolname likes this.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nice Gretsch!

Congrats on the bass and grad.

My oldest son is graduating today too!

verycoolname and spanndrew like this.
  6. Congratulations on completing an important phase of your education AND scoring a way-cool bass. Wish my kids played — I could promise them a sweet instrument like that instead of bickering over the car I'll never pay for.

Enjoy a well-deserved summer break and best of luck in the next stage of your life. Make good decisions and be safe, OK?

PS: There's probably some way you can insure against theft for very short money. Talk to your parents. It would suck a$$ to have it ripped from your dorm.

verycoolname likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    That's a seriously good-looking bass. You could be in a retro '60s video with something like that.
    Never saw a reversable righty/lefty before!
    Kudos and good luck.

verycoolname likes this.
  8. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    Congrats man! That was me last year. Although I picked up a used squier and it was my first bass. Some tips for dorm life with an instrument you love:
    1. Leave it somewhere out of site unless you're playing it.
    2. Iterate to your roommate what is and isn't okay as far as touching it is, you'd be surprised what people assume.
    3. Well 3 was going to be invest in a case to keep her safe, but I see you already did that ha.

But anyway, you'll be just fine with an instrument in a dorm, a lot of my friends got away with nicer instruments than me without issues. Have fun!

verycoolname likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just a suggestion. If you are going off to college, bring your old bass first, until you are comfortable with your roommates and security conditions. It would suck for it to disappear. Dorms are chaotic in the beginning, and stuff does take legs.

verycoolname likes this.
  10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Beautiful bass.

Enjoy college. Ahhhhhh the memories....

verycoolname and TeeZeeMee90 like this.
  11. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Congrats on both graduating and the new bass!

verycoolname likes this.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    well done sir; I had one of those for a while and really enjoyed it.
    All the best with college and all that!

verycoolname likes this.
  13. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Okay, everyone get ready for the mass reply...

Thank you all for the kind words! And congrats to your son, Baird! :thumbsup:

Thank you, sir! Likewise, I wish I had parents that understood my hobby, haha! I actually sent my father an email entitled "Why I Deserve Another Bass," because at first he wasn't on board. I bought the bass for myself, and they bought me a laptop, so it all worked out in the end.

And I'm going to look into a way to protect it, because it would suck a$$.

That's why I was into it, a lot different than my previous two!

As for "reversible righty/lefty," I believe that is a side effect of my laptop's camera (which seems to flip images). Thank you for the kind words!

Thanks for the kind words and the advice, which I'm sure will come in handy! I'm sure everything will work out.

Good suggestion. I actually already have a roommate, whom I'm good friends with (we worked together, and she lives one town over from me). I made it clear to her that I'd be bringing at least one bass (probably this one), a small amp, and my ukulele. She was cool with it, but I understand that I'll have to worry about the other 40,000+ kids on campus.

Thank you! Hopefully I'll be making some memories of my own. ;)

Thank you sir!

It's a fantastic little bass. And thank you!

14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Colleges often have to triple to start, and people will be coming in and out of rooms, and you might be indulging in adult beverages, etc. Be smart, start with the cheap stuff. If you get into a band or serious playing, there will be time to switch.

15. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Never considered the possibility of a third roommate, though I'm pretty sure PSU only gives two per room unless A) you're in supplemental housing (which we're not, because we signed our contracts before the deadline) or B) you requested a suite with four roommates (which we did not). I will keep the possibility in mind though. :thumbsup: I am more worried about the adult beverages and drunken imbeciles than theft from my roommate(s). As for cheap, I kind of wish I had a Squier to throw around :facepalm:...as it stands my Kingman is the cheapest, but I don't fancy bringing an acoustic solely because it wouldn't work if I ever got into a band situation. Then it's between the Ibanez and Gretsch, of which the Ibby is cheaper...decisions, decisions. I'll keep your advice in mind. :)

Edit: also forgot to mention that I'm (probably) only living on campus my first two semesters, because after freshman year housing isn't guaranteed anymore. I have four close friends from high school (including my roommate for freshman year) attending the same college, and we were planning on splitting an apartment in State College for the remainder of college. I know that lends itself to several other problems, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Maybe I'll bring the Ibby freshman year and the Grestch for the rest of my college experience...

16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I realize you trust your roommate, but everyone will be in and out. Bring a cheaper bass, and/or a chain and lock for the case - chain it to your bed under your bed or some such. Just don't be an easy target.

verycoolname likes this.
  17. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    I got you. To be clear, I appreciate your advice, and I apologize if it sounds like I'm disputing it...I don't want any of my possessions to be stolen either! When I went for orientation there were actually fairly large cabinets, and if I removed some of the interior shelves (which was possible) I could stand a bass case upright and chain it from the outside.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions.

18. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Congrats on the new bass and congrats with graduation!

verycoolname likes this.
  19. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Congrats on the bass it looks great! My advise on bringing your to collage: bring your Ibby at least until Thanksgiving break. You'll get a feel of the school, have something to play, and be able to bust out the really cool new Gretsch, and blow a few minds!

verycoolname likes this.
  20. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    Thank you, thank you! :D

Thank you! And that's sound advice, I never considered that. Would be a good way to make sure everything works out. :thumbsup:

AGH likes this.