Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nady Wireless system

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but here goes. I was considering investigating a Nady Wireless system as my band is kinda active and likes to jump around all over the place, and having no lead to trip over seems like a good idea. I was looking at the Nady because it's apparently developed specifically for the bass. There don't seem to be that many out there, so has anyone used a system like this and does it affect your sound in any way? Are there any cutting out problems and it is recommended, or shall I just stick with my good ol' cables?

The bass player in my old band used to use one (not a Nady) and he used to jump off of PA stacks and run around the venue with no problems, but I've never actually used one myself and I'm sure technology has improved since then. Your input is appreciated.

Nady Wireless system

[​IMG]

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Rockgurl,

(Welcome to TB, btw :D )

I just got a Carvin Wireless from a cool fellow TB'er and I can't wait to try it yet! Gotta wait until tomorrow, but I too am interested in other people's experiences with wireless.

But from what I do know, you should stick with a UHF model, rather than that VHF one that is in that picture. UHF supposedly is more reliable and operates on frequencies that is less cluttered. Especially with Nady's, this should not cost that much more. Even more so if it's a used unit.

And yeah, regarding bass specific frequencies, everyone comments that going down to 20hz is optimal for bass, but lots of people have been using the regular ol' 50hz ones without too much sacrifice in their ultra low end. And even when it does kinda take a bit of the ultra low end, they just advise to dial a bit of it back in on the amp or on your bass. I'm not sure to what degree this is true, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll report back my findings.

:ninja:

-T

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you don't mind loosing a little low end 'booty' from your tone, wireless units at 50hz cutoff are OK. However, if you lay heavy on your B string, it might sound a tad thin to you.

The best wireless for bass, without a doubt, is the digital Xwire, which I believe are no longer made, but can be found on the used market. Several rack spaces huge, unfortunately.

4. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Thanks so much for that, Transverz, that's really helpful. Now I know what to look out for...UHF and 20Mhz frequency. I'll be interested to hear how your Carvin sounded so don't forget to come back and tell us. So, anyone other than Carvin make these things?

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I tried to purchase that very system but was not able to find one online anywhere. What I did find at Musicians Friend was the Nady MK-2B, which I suspect is a relabled Encore 200. The specs and functionality seem identical as far as I can tell.

In any case, my experience was that you get what you pay for. The system sounds great except for the occasional dropout/interference every 5 or 10 minutes. I can't seem to get comfortable enough with it to trust it at a gig.

I guess your mileage may vary.

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I do hope I don't have that 5-10 minute dropout experience. I don't think anyone would use it if this was the case. And dang... I've seen some used X-wires... $300-$600 !!! I understand it's quality though, but I don't think I could ever own that...

Though I did say the same thing about Mesa Boogie stuff... and now I play a M-2000. Hehe, so...X-Wire, huh? :D

Who else makes it? Try:

-Shure (of course, but you pay the $$$ for the UHF, try used)
    -AKG (I heard it was decent, but there are better, I feel. They also come with the "bug" transmitters. Smaller and neater, but I heard a bit scary in the "oh crap, i broke it" department)
    -Seinnheiser (heard really good things. can go from affordable to EXPENSIVO. But quality it seems)
    -Audio Technica (Can go from super cheap to moderately priced and no doubt has their own high end model but never seen it. I heard this was good too for the price)
    -Samson (heard good things too and is moderately ranged to kind of high. The Airline bass I heard was good but surprisingly, doesn't go to 20hz, though I may be wrong on this. I think this seems to be the most "for bass" type of wireless that I've seen. Doens't mean it's the best though. It uses the bug transmitter too, in case you are looking for that. And it's in pedal form!)

Others I'm sure, but I can't think right now.

-T

-

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you bought a Carvin UHF system, I doubt you'll have that problem.

For $120, I kind of expected the issues I'm experiencing when I ordered it.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No, it doesn't matter what frequency it transmits on, as long as nobody else in your band is using the same frequency. You want to watch for the frequency response rating, and if you play a 5 string make sure the bottom end of it says 30hz.

9. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry, that's what I meant by frequency: The frequency response. Apologies. I believe the open E string on standard tuning is 41.2hz. A low D is 36.7. A low B is 30.9. So a 20hz frequency response pretty much safely covers 5-strings. I don't know about a 6-string. A standard 4-string however is pretty close to that 50hz cutoff that most standard wirelesses have.

But of course, that is all specs and measurements. Some people report using their 50hz wirelesses with their 4-string and notice no difference in the open E. Some people say it does make a big difference. Some say it can't be overcome. Some say you can make it up on the EQ. I think pretty much the answer is "it depends" on your setup.

The TB'er that sold me the Carvin said to me that he played his 5-string lower B and it slightly affects the ultra low end. I'd say that's a pretty good result, going almost 20hz under the 50hz cutoff.

Anyway, sorry for all the numbers. And all these numbers are gotten from my own research in which if someone can provide insight into more correct facts, please do. Thanks...

-T

10. Is there any way to change the frequency on the Nady Encore II? My guitarist and I each bought one but didn't realize that they are both on 185.15 hz. Big mistake. Anyone know anyway to tweak the frequency?

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Bummer, I don't think you can change the transmission frequency, can one of you return it?

My Nady died noisily a few months ago. :meh: I've got a Telex on the way, it says it goes down to 20hz so I'm hopeful it will have solid low end.

Nady just came out w/ a bass specific wireless. I don't know the freq. response but it does have some kind of bass boost.

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I had a really old Nady wireless back in the day, never had problems with it.

I use a Samson Airline because I find the cord on most wireless systems gets in the way.

13. Damn, I guess I have to sell mine on eBay. Unless anyone on here wants to buy it. It is in perfect condition with an extra angled plug and carrying case.

14. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I bought a Samson Airline wireless a few years back, before they had the "bass" version. I hate it and never used it. It sounded like crap and felt "cheap". What I have heard about the bass version is that it has an EQ bump on the receiver, but again that is just what I have heard. It also has only one frequency - what are you going to do when that frequency does not work? Why spend $200 or whatever? You should save up and get something better.

I bought a Shure SLX system about 8 months ago. It sounds fantastic. It has plenty of frequencies, the batteries will last longer than a gig, it is UHF (you don't want VHF) and true diversity (i.e., 2 receivers built into the unit tied to the two antennas and it selects the strongest single). It also comes with a rack mount kit. It has everything you need in one box. The SLX goes down to 45 hertz. It also does a much better job of "companding" the bass signal. I don't mind it at all.

The Samson sounds like an ultra bad compressor, and I mean bad. Every note has this awful thump to it, like cardboard being flicked with your finger. Like I said I hate the Samson.

The next step up is the Shure ULX, it goes down to 25 hertz. If you play a five string I would look at that, but with a four, the SLX does the trick for me.

15. Big D is right on.....here is what I recommend for the money...to get better you have to triple this amount......

http://www.shure.com/wireless/ulx/ulxp4.asp

Should retail for around 600.00 (NOT cheap but MUCH better than anything even close in price)

Peace,

T

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No matter what wireless unit you use, you will not get the same sound as if you were cabled. You have to dial it back in at the amp. I have 3 units (Samson, Audio Technica, Shure)(2 were free) and all have a low frequency dropout! Ugh!

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought a UHF Diversity system from fellow TB'er Freakbass a couple months ago and haven't had any problems with it, but then again, I'm not the type of player that abuses his equipment, so I doubt I'd ever have any "I broke it" moments with this thing.

I also work my low B quite a bit playin' funk, jazz, and gospel, and haven't had any dropouts @ a range of 30 yards...provided the bug battery is strong.

18. I have been using an old Nady Wireless 3-D for about 12 years with no problems. It sounds fine to me and I have never had any negative comments from sound techs or band members.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just to clarify, I've not had any 'sound' dropouts only low frequency dropoff. It takes a really good unit to compress a signal, create a digital simile of that signal, transmit it over the airwaves and de-compress it back to analog sounding exactly the same.