NB(S)D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fakeneckplate'65, Oct 1, 2018.

1. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    That's right! New Bass(SYNTH) Day! I did some trading & acquired a Moog Slim Phatty Stage II. Boy is it fun. This is my first analog synth, my other synth being an awesome Yamaha DX7. This thing is going to give my electric basses a hard case of jealousy for sure.

Speaking of which, this is talkBASS.com, why is there no dedicated synth bass or key bass forum?

PhattyStage2-large.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. mike1123

mike1123

Sep 24, 2018
    Texas
    sweetness :thumbsup:

Are you playing it thru your bass (guitar) rig?. I don't own synth/keys, but am eyeing a Korg Monologue.

saabfender and fakeneckplate'65 like this.
  3. fakeneckplate'65

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, my DX7 is permanently set up to play through my Gallien Krueger 700RBII & 4x10 Neo cab, when Im not pulling it out to gig. My new Moog will likely be in the same place in my living room. However, 99% of the time, I practice electric bass through my SWR Strawberry Blonde in my bedroom. The compact size does give me the option of playing the Moog where I want though.

4. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    So cool! Congrats. I have a microKorg running through my bass rig in my home set-up. They're so fun. I'd love to get more "into" synths but I'm not smart or rich enough :D

mike1123 and fakeneckplate'65 like this.
  5. fakeneckplate'65

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Synths, like everything else right now, seems to be selling on the cheap. Just dont buy anythi g expecting to flip it. It just doesn't work that way anymore IMO. You can buy a Moog Sub Phatty used for a little over $500 & I only paid only about $700 for the Slim Phatty.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. fakeneckplate'65

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Anyone double on key bass on their gigs?

7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I once played a MiniBrute through my Traynor YBA and it was GLORIOUS. Will get my hands on one of those again sometime soon. +1 on the bass synth sub. That would be fun.

I wish I could double on synths, but sadly that sound wouldn't exactly lend itself to the music (classic rock, big band, oldies...)

8. fakeneckplate'65

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, I'd probably only drag the Moog out for one or two songs over the course of a three hour set. It really helps me learn & retain parts when I learn the part on bass & keys. With guitar, it's easy to become accustomed to patterns, where as I really must learn & remember the notes when I play keys.