1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD!!!!!!! 11 String Multiscale Extended Range Prometeus Bass! (Extended-Range Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Why Nautilus‽, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Hey all you people! A dream of mine in the making for some years now has come true today. Influenced by @Jean Baudin and Yves Carbonne, I have wanted an extended range bass. Today my wish came true! I contacted Prometeus Guitars in August to begin building this instrument and I couldn't be more pleased with it today. @Triad did an excellent job, and paid such close attention to details and my wishes.
    Now to the specs:
    36 to 32 Multiscale
    Tuned low C# to high Eb (D#) 17 mm spacing
    1 firekeeper humbucker, volume and tone controls
    All gold hipshot hardware.
    Zebrawood headstock, knobs and toneblock.
    Buckeye Burl body and pickup cover.
    Wenge fingerboard.
    Padauk/Padouk neck and center.
    And a tiny cocobolo accent between the neck and body.

This bass has such an amazingly thin neck that I can comfortably reach all of the strings easily. It sounds incredible, and is so resonant.

Please no ERB hate here, I've wanted this for so long.

Attached Files:

2. I forgot to add the rest of the pictures!

Attached Files:

3. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Awesome! Love to hear clips eventually too. Id love to get my hands on one too! Enjoy!

Matthew_84 and Why Nautilus‽ like this.
  4. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Dude! Your killing me! I just missed out on the 8 string Prometheus he had on eBay! Do you have his contact info? Is he here on Talkbass? I want to talk to him about a custom 8 with a 33.5-30.5 8 string.

Why Nautilus‽ likes this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I am definitely curious as to how it sounds.

Do you think you'll go through a lot of strings? I watched this guy Scott Fernandez on YT and he said he breaks three a week, average.

6. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    That looks terrifying. Let's hear it in action.

7. I'll get there eventually. I have much practice ahead. One of my favorite features is the open buzz of the higher strings when strummed. It's very much like a sitar.

Garret Graves likes this.
  8. He goes by @Triad here. I'm sure he'd love to talk to you. His website is simply prometeus guitars.

smperry likes this.
  9. I'm hoping to not go through too many. I don't know if Scott and I differ in playing style (he has a 12), but time will tell.

10. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Thanks for the info! How much does yours weigh?

11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    That's an awesome-looking instrument! It's not quite for me, but I admire the instrument and your desire and tenacity to get it made and to play it. Best of luck to you.

So far, the "Jaco needed only four strings" crowd seems to have held off. I hope they are okay....:D:roflmao:

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sweet bass. Congratulations!

blindrabbit and Why Nautilus‽ like this.
  13. It's 14 pounds. It's heavy and feels heavy. I'm putting together the scratch to get a duostrap. Don't wanna ruin my back.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  14. Thank you!
    I'm sure those guys will be along eventually. I'm very much influenced by Jaco. I have a fretless bass that was my main for years. But it was hard to fight the urge for range.

dazmond likes this.
  15. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I fell in love with his playing, now I despise hearing any imitations, even myself, of his style. :D

Geri O likes this.
  16. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    That looks vicious.... In a good way:bassist:

17. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    She is beautiful! Nominally, I'm a 5 string guy but I'd love to have a 7 string some day! Play her in good health!

18. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Fantastic bass, I'd love to hear it. I'd be tempted to find a slightly longer C# string, as the windings at the nut look dodgy. If it tunes up fine though, then I can't complain.

19. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    'tis a feather!
    Just a half pound heavier than my seven stringer!

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My barely gigging cover band plays at a big birthday bash for my friend's grandfather's birthday every year. We play basic standards. Lots of root and fifths kinda stuff. I'd like to show up with one of these one day to play Stand By Me.