1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! 2008 Warwick $$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spooge, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    0FED9774-E81E-4278-A7E8-B9E75D37CA4D.jpeg 07A2D4F9-CD10-477C-AE02-EC332A902185.jpeg Several years ago I owned a 2008 $$ 4 in the Nirvana black finish and sold it. My mistake. I bought it from a small music store that had no idea what they had, felt kind of bad buying at the price I did, but my gain I guess. Anyway, many years and basses later I missed that thing. Flash forward to today and I found a 2008 $$ 5, made an offer that I “almost” felt bad about again, nonetheless I have it now. Picked it up, plugged it in. Battery dead. No worries, pulled the active/passive switch and away I went. Instant gratification! Another other $$5 owners here? Also could someone ID the strings? Felt almost like flats or half rounds/tape rounds. Very smooth. Winding looks like Warwick but not 100% sure.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

pretty cool that you keep getting deals on the axes you really like! :wideyed:
    :laugh:

it's a beauty! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Five String, Dr. Cheese and Spooge like this.
  3. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Are they half rounds?

Congrats on the sweet bass! Those were pretty sick when they came out, I was really considering one in my heavy Warwick days.

Spooge likes this.
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Whether the ovangkol or wenge necks, those $$s are NASTY. They have waaaaay better tone than the maple necked ones, even the custom/LTD stuff with maple necks...night and day difference.

Spooge likes this.
  5. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I think this one is ovankol neck with wenge finger board if I’m not mistaken.

BOOG likes this.
  6. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    They might be I’m not sure. I’ve only played rounds, coated rounds and flats. Tension is fairly flexible so could be a flex flat set but I’m maybe halfs or tapes but I’ve never played those so not sure. Hoping someone could tell by the strings but colors or windings but not sure.

7. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    I can say for a 2008 the frets don’t show any indenting or grooving or anything. They look even across the board. Not sure if that’s the strings or the quality of frets.

8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Oh, I know that...just saying that either one of those woods blows the maple ones out of the water.

9. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    Oh gotcha! For sure.

10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    It's that Warwick sound in all of its glory, aside from the Thumb and Dolphin.

11. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    Yep I love putting both buckers on full blast and letting it bark and growl!

five7 and songwriter21 like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Looks bada$$. Thump it!

Spooge likes this.
  13. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Nice, congrats! I've always liked those basses but have never owned one. In regards to the strings, if they're tapes, they will most likely be black as the nylon tape material is usually black (I think there might be a few exceptions). The way you have described them, I would say probably half rounds but I'm not good at identifying strings just from looking at them like some others here are able to do.

Spooge likes this.
  14. Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  15. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Happy Double Buck day!

What a great look, and active 3 band, too!

Spooge likes this.
  16. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
  17. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Beauty! Post a pic of the back of the neck. Curious to see which awesome wood is hiding back there.

Spooge likes this.
  18. Congratulations! I will confirm with 100% certainty that those are D’Addario Chromes flatwounds. A very nice flatwound.

Spooge likes this.
  19. Vodyanoi

Vodyanoi

Mar 24, 2020
    What a beauty, congrats! :thumbsup:

$$ used to be my dream bass and at some point around '05 i was ready to buy one, but for some weird reason the local Warwick dealer got annoyed when i told them that i needed to try it again, for a second time, before i order one (let me add that they didn't carry a lefthand version of it, so i've only tried a righthand one for a maximum of 10 minutes - quite difficult to decide especially given how much they cost).

They were like "if you're still not sure after you've tried it once, maybe you should leave those instruments to the pros". Quite ridiculous customer treatment if you ask me, so i kept my money and never looked back again.

Goatrope likes this.
  20. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    any reason why someone would throw flats on a warwick $$?? Seems like an odd choice of bass vs string?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021